Rear diff leaking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 07:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear diff leaking

Any tips on changing the fluid? Changed it last night with approx 1.5 qts and it was leaking this morning. I crawled underneath and opened the fill plug and about an oz leaked out- obviously i overfilled( changed on an incline so i could fill it easier). Tightened back up, but it looks like it is still leaking- pretty bad too. The plastic O ring was cracked and i replaced it with one from hawk. Can I use some red RTV in there too? Any other reasons why this is leaking so bad? So much for the beach tomorrow.... On a more positive note- i finished the timing belt/oil seals over the weekend and its running much better- no more stumbling.
Any advice on the diff is greatly appreciated.
db

dbenj
88.5 zook, mini mudders, 2"shackles,Thorley Header,K&N,Pony Carb,GM Alt,custom ski bumper,yankee off road hood latches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 08:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rear diff leaking

As long as it's the fill plug yea you can just use RTV or some teflon plumbers taoe on the threads. Glad to hear the
timing belt helped. (That and you're not the SS Valdez anymore..)

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 09:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Glenn. The timing belt was a bear to do(especially in the rain and lightning!), but I sure felt proud when completed. The timing cover was completely shredded by the pulleys and it lookied like part of the oil leak was from the cam seal. But i think the oil sprayed in from the holes in the cover and soaked the T belt. Much better now. Thanks for your help and patience.
So- should the RTV go on the thread or just the edge or both? I have new tube of red stuff waiting to be gobbed on.
db

dbenj
88.5 zook, mini mudders, 2"shackles,Thorley Header,K&N,Pony Carb,GM Alt,custom ski bumper,yankee off road hood latches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just changed the oil in my diff as well it was all black and lumpy lookin (not lumpy as in pieces of my diff!)!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 09:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Just clean off the threaded part of the plug and smear some on.

Glenn
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well folks- the saga continues. Unfortunately, it is not the fill plug where it is leaking. It is somewhere just above that. And it is throwing gear oil something fierce. My guess is that it can be one of two things- either a leak between the carrier and housing or a crack/hole in the cover. So that said- where does the carrier and the housing separate? I know the bolts are on the frontside of the diff, and it does NOT look like it is leaking there. It seems as if the oil is coming from the area where the ebrake and brake lines are mounted to the diff(back side of housing). So- how do i go about pulling apart the cover? If I unbolt the cover, does the rear section(that with the brake brackets) stay put? Do I need to remove the entire axle assy? My guess is that I need to get that rear section off and either RTV the flanges or weld up the cover.
Comments?

dbenj
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 08:57 AM

From what you are saying it sounds like a crack in your housing. If that is true then there would be no reason to pull your third member. I would first Identify if this is a crack from stress or if something in your diff has broke and punched through. Trust me you could tell them apart. If it is a crack a welder could repair that without removing anything.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Its probly rusted through, Clean it off with carb cleaner and then drive it you will be able to see where it is leaking. Then clean it again and use some epoxy putty and plug the leak for now.

Glenn
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:34 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Clean it well and if you can't get to a welder, which would be best, use some JB Weld, that stuff is awesome. It has to be CLEAN though, and I mean clean.

Did I mention it has to be cleaned well?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2001, 09:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My guess is rust as well. Right around the ebrake bracket, its heavily gunked with rust and the like. I'll spray and scrub tomorrow and see what I can find. Will try and unbolt the ebrake bracket to see a little better. The problem is that I can't fit my big noggen between the fuel tank and the diff to see it closely. I think the hole is on the top half of the rear section.Figure clean it best i can, and coat it with JB weld. cross your fingers...

dbenj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode