Quadrasteer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quadrasteer

OK, goin way out on the limb here,and I promise I won't bring this up again. GM will be releasing a 4 wheel steering system for it's longer trucks to reduce turning radius. Not that Sami's have a big turning radius, it's just that there is so much creativity here that it would seem to be a minor challenge to do the same to a Sami. We've actually seen at least one "example" on the boards, so the real questions might be:why?--how do you make it safe?--and finally what axles? Perhaps Toyota front axles, with a power steering system that is speed sensing so as not to steer the rear over X mph and also the ability to "crab" at low speeds? (etc.,etc.)
There, I've said it and it's off my chest. Please don't beat me up too badly as I'm still relatively new. No more stupid questions from me, I promise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:05 PM

Re: Quadrasteer

<font face="Comic Sans MS">It would be a really complicated thing to do. Unless you could swipe the entire system off of the GM vehicle so you'd have a place to start... We'd need an electrical engineer and someone who specializes in computer engineering and someone who could design the software the system will run... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It would be complicated still even with the GM setup just because of the fact that you'd have to reprogram the computer to adjust it for the shorter wheelbase so it doesn't try to turn them really sharply... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Plus the fact that it'll never be street legal. Or it would be extremely expensive to get the system approved. GM can do it but I doubt on a case by case basis it would be financially acceptable (way too high $$$)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a thought... It might be easier to have a switch like the monster trucks do to activate the rear steering... Perhaps you could rig a sensor into the wheel to tell the rear how much to turn without having a whole computer, just flip a switch to tell it which way to go. GM's engineers are still working all the bugs out as far as I know... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] And they've been working on the thing since the early 90's to my knowledge... Sorry to break the bad news... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode