Tracker vs Wrangler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tracker vs Wrangler

In the past we have owned a 94 Sidekick, and leased a 95 Tracker. We are nearing the end of our lease on a 99 Wrangler. All have been to dealership on warranty, are similarly priced (without rebate), but Tracker/Sidekick get better gas mileage which is becoming more important from a daily driver. Any input before we begin test driving?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 05:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tracker vs Wrangler

hey man, as a vetran member of the zukin family here its only natural for me to say go for the sidekick/tracker man. but also as a realistic guy, i also see a lot of nice things in a wrangler too. shoot, i was in the market for a YJ about 10 months ago to flat tow my zuk. havent owned a wrangler, but i have rode in them, really nice. depends on the uses you will have for it. the wrangler will make a better double duty rig, street/dirt, but then again, the tracker/kick will get batter milage. more acces available for the wrang too. but it all comes down to what uses you have in store for it.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:08 PM
I Do This For The Glory

We used to own a '94 Sidekick, 4 door, and it was a great little vehicle. We also now own a '97 Wrangler.

Let me ask a few questions. Oh yeah, can you please fill out your profile? Thanks.

1) How many people in your household?

2) How far do you drive to work?

3) What state do you live in?

4) Are you considering a 4 door Kick or a 2 door?

5) Do you take it off road at all, and if so, to what extent?

6) I am assuming you're going to lease this for 3 years?

7) How many miles are you going to put on it over the lease period?

8) Do you need storage space when traveling, like for hauling a lot of stuff?

9) Are the prices comparable?

10) What version Wrangler are you considering?

Each of these should have a specific answer to them, and then we should have a lot more info on what to base our answers.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN is this a quiz out of a magazine??!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]!!!

Dang man that is a lot of questions!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:48 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Nope, just pertinent questions relating to personal experiences. More info is needed to make an accurate assessment and response.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2 adults & 2 children in home. Mileage to work is about 18 miles/day. Live in S. Illinois. Looking at 2 door Tracker/Sidekick (only soft-tops considered). Off road adventures limited to public land along riverfront and trips to the woods to watch deer in snowy weather. Our last 2 leases were 3 year term, but may purchase if rebates are available. Last 2 leases ran over mileage 1000-2000 miles ($100-$200). When traveling, we pack carefully in duffles and soft bags. With no rebates, Tracker/Sidekick and Wrangler SE are very close in price (we ordered last time to eliminate unwanted options). Looking at Wrangler SE again (no problems with 4 cyl.)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 09:48 PM

Is your lease assisted by work? Why do you not consider purchasing an older model? Do you do any mechanical work at all or like to at all?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:35 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Have you looked at the 6 cyl at all? The mileage is almost the same on the two, and the 6 cyl is a ton of fun. We love ours, and would buy another in a minute, so much fun.

Based on what you mentioned, I'd suggest the TJ. They are a little larger inside than the Tracker, and definitely built stronger, and they have a very high crash rating. Although if you're leasing, mods and aftermarket support don't matter as you probably don't want to modify it too much. The Tracker is going to help on the fuel mileage, to the tune of about $375 a year, so you'd have to factor that in as well.

Have you looked into buying an older TJ? They are really coming down in price. Just a suggestion.

How do you fit 2 adults, 2 kids, and gear in a Jeep or Tracker? You're either an efficiency expert or you take nothing camping.

Boy, that's a hard decision. I don't have anything that would really sway you either way, both are great vehicles. You may bring that up when bargaining with the salesman. Make him give you a reason (lower price) to choose one over the other.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode