16v pull out. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 03:32 PM
mike shannon

16v pull out.

well brown29 showed up saturday at about lunch and we closed the deal on the 16v and the 5 speed. we called brent at trail tough and he said he wanted the whole harness so it turned in to quite a chore. but what we did learn is to plan on pulling the dash out first thing and save your self some work. there are three screws across the top of the dash[one in each speaker and one in the middle under a cover]. and the rest is pretty easy it took us 5 hrs to pull the motor,tranny,driveshaft,gastank,harness/computer,cat,power steering and the box. but i think we could do it in three now. but we did have a air ratchet and a fork lift. just a little f.y.i later mike

zuks and toys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 03:50 PM

Re: 16v pull out.

I just did that this weekend. But im using a guy who does the harnesses in Maryland for 250$ (His name is robert) But i did not pull the tank, are you doing this to a tracker newer then 96? Im curious to see what the engine is like when i put it in my wifes rig. Put the power steering in on Sunday as well, had Glenn make me up an adapter using the universal joint cut off the lower end of the collapsable unit on the tracker to attatch to the ragjoint of the sammi. Just sent the harness off today express. Should have it by thursday or friday.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 04:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Max, I haven't checked with anybody about the wiring harness conversion yet, but I'm interested in finding out how yours goes. I think $250 sounds much more reasonable for converting the harness than what I have seen advertised.

This engine is from a '98 Tracker and we pulled the gas tank to make sure we got everything possibly needed since I'm a long way from the Dallas area. I didn't know if the Tracker fuel pump and sending unit would fit a late model EFI Samurai tank.

Are you swapping the transmission too?

Since you're a LONG way ahead of me I'll probably be asking lots of questions WHENEVER I can even get around to starting on mine.

Let us know how it goes.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Max,
Who in Maryland does the harness conversion? I'm getting ready to do my second swap.
ROB

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

Yeah Max, who does it? I would have had one redone myself for the 1.6 8v I installed. I had everything except the fuel tank/pump. AARRRRRRG! Capn_Crunch is here in Maryland and he would be interested in a harness too. He is preparing for a 1.6 16v swap and is about to send a harness out to TT for the rewire job.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:09 PM

Brown29 I will let you know how mine goes, this guy robert in Maryland does 8 valves for 200 and 16v for 250 which is better then other options. I am not swapping transmissions although i could go the 2wd stick. I heard its a weaker tranny so i dont want it. A 98 is a pain in the butt i also hear because you Have to get stuff out of the tank for the conversion and its hard to make it pass thru rmv, dmv, or whatever dept.of transportation that does the emmissions check in your state. Im not a long way ahead of you, i just sent the harness out today and hope to have it back by the end of the week. It turns out this guy has a three day turnaround time, but i have to see how his work is before i can reccomend him.... I will keep in touch.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:12 PM

Rob, his name is Robert. I dont know his last name, but i also am hesitant to reccomend him since im the first to see his work. He is supposed to be a compitent electrical engineer that has time to do this wiring and does it very cleanly. I will have it by the end of the week and then i will let you know if its quality craftsmenship or not. Can you hold out that long? I really dont want a bad job to come back on my words, if you can wait this week we shall know by then. If not, email me off the board and ill get his phone number for you.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:13 PM

Tim if you and capn crunch can wait a week, ill let you know if this guy does good work. For the 8 valve its 200$ for the 16 valve its 250$. I will definately keep in touch.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 12:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

Max, I don't even know when I will start on mine so you ARE quite a bit ahead of me. I don't personally know anyone who has done the Tracker trans swap with the 1.6, but had heard it was supposed to be an improvement instead of a downgrade. I do know it is supposed to be a lot more trouble because of the size of the transmission and the problems that causes.

The emissions should not be a problem in Arkansas... we haven't even had vehicle safety inspections here since 1997 and have never had emissions testing or inspections.

If your harness conversion goes ok I may want to get him to do mine too.

Thanks.

[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 12:01 AM

I'm interested! I think I'm gonna have to abandon the 16V idea. The people I'm dealing with for the 4dr Tracker keep flaking out on me. They're in the office/they're not, the phone's busy for hours/no one answers for days, the answering machine works/it doesn't work! I don't have time to play these games! So, I hooked up with someone I sold some stuff to on ebay a while ago and he has a complete 8V and all the necessary wiring. I'm waiting ot hear what kind of deal he'll cut me on the motor and stuff....

AARRRRRRRG! 1987 Red JX 'vert, 4.5 BREEZE SPOA, SJ410 T-case (next week), 29 Super Swampers... more to come.... AARRRRRRRG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode