Electric fan ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Electric fan ??

I'm using a Flex-a-Lite model #110 electric fan and have it wired so that it can run after the motor is switch off. Depending on how hot it is, it will run for several minutes after shutting off the motor. It draws 9 amps. Will this kill my battery (in the long run)?

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 07:16 PM
zukiman

Re: Electric fan ??

Crow, are you using it as your primary radiator fan, or just as a supplement to the stock fan?

I'm curious as to why you'd want to cool the radiator after the engine's been shut off, instead of when it needs the additional cooling while the engine is running. Remember that the cooled-off water within the radiator won't circulate through the engine unless the water pump is running. That's why I don't understand what the purpose of your setup is.

To answer your question, though, I don't think you'll have any problems with the fan running for a few minutes after the engine shuts off. Many cars have their electric fans run for a little bit after the engine's been shut off, right from the factory. Just make sure that your thermostat doesn't go haywire and run the electric fan until the battery's completely discharged.

-- Geoff Beasley

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 07:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I know many cars are designed to run after the engine is off. My Dad's Plymouth stays on for several minutes. This site might help. http://www.jumpstarter.com/common.htm Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 07:42 PM

i want as long as you got a pretty high amp battery over 650 cranking amps

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Geoff,
I'm using it as a primary fan. I actually did something that I rarely do...I read the directions. I could have used a switched power source or a constant source. The fan runs while the motor is running as well as when it is off, depending on what I have the thermostatic switch set at. I thought that having it run for a short time afterwards would be a good thing as there is no cooling otherwise. I might be wrong, but the heated coolant just sits with no movement. Immediately after shut down, cooling ceases and the coolant temp can spike for a very short time, then gradually cool down. I thought that with the fan running, it would help cool the motor a bit, not by directly cooling the coolant, but rather cooling the motor itself.
Quite possibly, this doesn't matter at all and the minute returns from this might not justify having it wired this way.
I might not have explained myself clearly...sorry about that.
Maybe I'll play it safe and use the switched power source. My concern was the amp draw and what it might do to battery life. Your thoughts?

Jim,
Thanks! I bookmarked that site for later viewing. Math isn't my forte' and I need a clear head to fully understand it. It looks very informative....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 08:49 PM

When the water is hot, and the thermostat is open, you will get a lot of circulation through the motor as long as you have something providing cooling. It is called natural circulation. The cooler water sinks, and the hotter water rises. This provides the motive force to circulate the water. This is one of the basis for protection of Nuclear Power Plant Reactors, and is figured in to their safe shutdown calulations in case of loss of the coolant pumps. With a large volume of water, this can result in 100's of gallons per minute flow. (Besides selling Zuki parts, I work at a Nuclear generating station).

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Tim,
This would be inversion, correct? Similar to different temp. air masses, where the colder being more dense settles to the bottom and the higher temp would rise....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 09:17 PM

No, inversion is when the air or water is of two distinctly different temperatures and the colder layer is trapped under the warmer layer above. This commonly happens in valleys where still air rapidly gives up it's heat creating a cold layer under the warmer area above. As the moisture in the cold air condenses, you get fog that is trapped as well. With no wind and no heat source, it justs sits there until the next day when the sun "burns off the fog". Natural Circulation occurs when the fluid or air even has a flow path allowing the temperature imbalance to drive the movement.

TGt - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 11:39 PM
Loweguy

Crow,

In short the answer is "don't worry about it". I do not expect that the fan running will prove to be a problem.

As you well know (and Jim pointed out), MANY new cars have fans that run after the car is shut off as well as while it's being run. It is for exactly the reason you mentioned...the car actually gets HOTTER for a few moments after being turned off.

I've done the same on several cars of mine with ZERO problems. I have always thought it to be preventative of heat-related issues for the engine, too.

The additional cycling of the battery caused by that minor draw will not shorten it's life. As long as your alternator is up to snuff, the battery will handle it fine.

Michael O
-01 Nissan Frontier
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse
-90 Suzuki Swift 4-door
-83 Mercury Zephyr Z7 sport coupe
'Sometimes you're the pigeon, Sometimes you're the statue'
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 03:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crowhorse
Hi
The natural cooling is called "thermo syphon" and was used by a lot of cars in the old days. About the battery, I wouldn't worry about it cause if your fan were to run for 6 mins 0.1 of an hour, after switch off, it would only use 0.9 of an amp.
Regards
Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode