which lift is the best? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

which lift is the best?

I have a stock 87 sami. Im looking to lift it for rockcrawling. I just want to know which lift is the best. Im looking at the TRAIL TOUGH lift w/missing links and the CSC shackle rev. Does anyone have the trail tough lift? what are the problems w/ either lift...Please help
I have $1400 to spend on a COMPLETE lift , I dont want to have to buy more stuff just to make it work. I want every thing needed for a complete lift from the start.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 07:57 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: which lift is the best?

Sounds like you are in the market for a CSC YJ suspension lift. From the pictures I have seen, that kit flexes like crazy. You should have enough money for the drives shafts, shocks and brake lines, etc... One thing that might put you over the limit is steering correction though. You might want to go with a Breeze cross over steering set-up and that will be cutting it close on your budget.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 08:10 PM
Can't Get Enough

Opps, I just did the math. That kit with just the front and rear and the driveshafts would be at $1200. You could go cheaper by using a Toyota drive shaft. Probably save a $150-200 by going that route and then you could save another $100 by purchasing a Silver Bullet Birfield front driveshaft from Roadless Gear. That would save you a total of $250-300 and with the extra $200 you would have left you could probably sqeak by with a cheaper brand shock, NAPA brake lines, and the Breeze cross over steering. Don't forget the cost of a set of used YJ springs. Might be able to score a set used for $50-100.

You may not want to do this route because you said you want a complete kit from the start, but this is a way to get a super kit to fit your budget.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 08:14 PM

For $1199.00 + S/H, here is what you can get:

4 - Breeze 4.5 or 5.5 perch
3 - Breeze Drive shaft spacers
8 - Breeze HD U-Bolts
4 - Breeze Lower shock pins
1 - Upper rear mount
4 - DT 3000 shocks
3 - Long rubber brake lines (add $20 if fourth line needed)
4 - Breeze pre modified clamp plates
4 - Breeze 4" to 8" Drop Link Shackles
2 - extended front shock towers
1 - Breeze cross over steering
1 - Breeze rear traction bar

And with the package, you have the option to purchase two 1510 Lockrights for $165 each!

Everything you need in one complete package.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

with this Breeze kit your talking about , how much articulation am i going to get. Also can it use missing links. TY

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 11:41 PM

On mine I used Trail Toughs M/L's, extended slip yokes, Side kick P/S setup,Hybrid rearend, double tough axles for the front. I did the Spoa using the front CJ springs on the rear of the Zuk, and Zuk rears up front. Used Trail Toughs spring mount relocation brackets for the CJ springs for the rear, plus got my shocks, brake lines and thier Z-link. Running 33' TSL swamper Radials and this thing drives like a dream.Drive's/rides alot better than my stock 92' Zuk. Read about the bumpsteer and other problems associated with the Z-link, but I have Zero complaints on my setup.
Both Trail tough and NCO are top notch Zuk vendors. Good luck on the project.

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 07:35 AM

The drop link shackles listed are a more advanced version than so called "Missing Links", and are included in the quote in te previous post. This is as complete of a kit as it gets, and no one can come close on the price. It will ramp well over a 1000, and I have put the front tire of mine on a 34" high rock with the other three tires on the ground. It is a great uncomplicated and well tried suspension. Go to www.northcoastoffroad.com/samurai/suzi.htm and you will see some flex with the basic setup when I was in Uwharrie last fall, it has rear springs upfront and 31x9.5 swampers.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would say for the money you can't go wrong if you went with what Tim (NCO)has listed,plus for just over what you have to spend you can get lockers.I would say if you can buy everthing form one place you might spend just alittle more then if you shopped for the best price on every little thang but you would have less headackes.

QuadZuki,87 spoa,33"wild countrys
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just somethang to thank about you know how you drive and what terrain you will be wheeling.Take some time and watch other people that have the same type driving style as you do and see what works for them.But you can ask everone what they would go with but what makes one person happy may not make you happy.With a lift comes bigger tires,with bigger tires comes gears and lower geared t-case,then if your going to be doing some hard wheelin your going to need a roll cage,then your going to need a new rear bumper so that you can have a full size spare,because of the lockers your going to have to add and then can't forget about the front bumper with winch mount that will hold that big nice winch your going to need.And by then your WAY over $1400 so just think what you should go with first most people say lockers and a roll cage that should be your money you have to spend.But then again i don't know what you have now.All i'm saying is make sure you put some thought in to what you want the first time and that will save you some money by not haveing to go back and do something else right away.

QuadZuki,87 spoa,33"wild countrys
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 09:50 AM
Old Hand

I see you are from Southern Cali...and you are "looking to lift it for rockcrawling"

you might want to read Geoff Beasley's writeup on the CSC lift before you invest everything into a lift for "rockcrawling in the southwest"....

with the CSC there is no need for a panhardbar, as there is with some suspensions with link type shackles up front....it has a greater approach angle than most other suspensions, you know how important approach angle can be while rockcrawling....and those YJ springs allow way more flex with a smoother ride than stock springs or CJs!

most all the hardcore rockcrawlers run s/r..and if you check under some of thier trucks you'll find a Sumo shaft powering the front/rear axle....
I don't think the birf driveshafts will allow either the power or speed. Most of the guys I wheel with that have front birf drivelines have to pull over and unlock the front hubs between the hard places so they can drive fast enough to keep up with those running the CSC suspension. I don't know of a stronger longer lasting front or rear driveshaft than the Sumo with it's 1/2 ton u-joints.

you can pick up "Ford 3/4 ton front shock towers" for about 8 bucks each ...use the DT 3000/8000 shocks for the extreme droop. make your own lower shock mounts from your old ones, by cutting them off and welding them to some 2 inch angle iron....

the csc kit comes with SpOa pads "free"...the only drawback to the CSC that I can see is standing in line for one....I hope to see that clear up in the near future as they speed up production to keep up with the high demand.

so take the time to read Geoff's writeup and ask a few of the guys on here running the CSC suspension what they think of it...I know I love mine and am very proud of the way it works in the toughest of places! So what if you go a little over budget...it's worth it!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode