Off Roading Forums banner

Strange rear brake problem, (FIXED)

741 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ZuksRule 
#1 ·
I just replaced my rear axle seals and when I re-installed my brake lines and bleed them I can't get a hard pedal. The shaft on the drum that the parking brake cable hooks to (with the spring attached to it) also moves back and forth on the driver side when the pedal is pushed. (I don't think it is suppose to) I have no idea what the problem is. Help me guys, I need to get it set for the Melt.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind ;)

G
#2 ·
Re: Strange rear brake problem, help

We had the same kind of problem when we changed the rear drums...but you have to crack the drum open and look at it??

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs

#4 ·

That arm that the cable attaches is the adjuster/e-brake
arm. take it out and make sure that all the parts on it move freely. The arm that sticks through the backing plate should move freely, They usally rust solid.also there should be a
spring on the adjuster part (Little pawl on the arm.)
It sounds like the brakes are not adjusting up properly.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html

#5 ·

You're right, the parking brake cable spring shouldn't move with the pedal - something is ascrew. I'd pull the drum off again and check the setup, see that nothing is binding or misaligned. Sounds like some part is pulling or rubbing inside the drum. Also, it takes a while to get a good bleed on those lines. I thought I had all the air out of mine, but the pedal was still a bit mushy, drove it for a few days, then bled them again and got lots more air out. Now they are ok. Hope you have the same luck.
See ya at the Melt!

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html

#6 ·

Thanks for the replies, i just put all new pads on today and while driving down dirt roads i can't even get the tires to lock up, not even the front. I have no idea how they could have gotten messed up. Scott how many times did u have bleed your brakes? I've done each corner about 15 times now.

-Ryan

#7 ·

Before you go through gallons of brake fluid like I did, try to gravity bleed them. Attach a hose and a receptical to each bleeder and open them up. Allow it to flow into the recepticles and keep an eye on the master cylinder fluid level. It could take more than an hour or so to do but this helped me out when I had bleeding problems.
Another trick used on the rear is to jack up the entire rear end, and put a "c" clamp on the brake cylinders compressing them. I was told of an air pocket inside the brake cylinder can make bleeding a PITA. Hope this helps....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

#8 ·

Ohh, 15 times?! Not that much for me. I did it about 5 or 6 times, then after driving around a bit, to shake things up, I did it another 4 or 5 times. On the 88.5 and up models, there is only one line to bleed for the rear end. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif less work.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html

#9 ·

All fixed!! Idrove it about 20 miles (with the soft pedal) down a bumpy road to shake it up, and then i tryed bleeding all the brakes again and it worked. The pedal is as hard as a rock. Thanks guys :)

-Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.