She's all over the road.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

She\'s all over the road....

Help me guys i need a few answers... I just got my samurai safty inspected (passed) insured, and registerd...

But the darn thing is uncontrolable on the road. every little bump and crack sends me flying off course.

You may have read my previous post about the z-link bar...However i was able to pick up and new tie-rod end at a surplus store and just cut off the bacd ball joint on the drag link and welded it there...

I just replaced all the front bearings and there in there good and tight... every thing else is nice and tight...

Would a bad steering stablizer cause that much of a on-road problem.. beacuse min is toast...

any idea's are needed/appriciated..... -thanks

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:07 PM
Old Hand

Re: She\'s all over the road....

What degree did you set your castor at when you did your spoa?

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Well the guy before me did the spoa..he cut the axle houseing and re-welded...so the caster should be same a stock..

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't assume the previous owner got it right. IMHO the steering stabilzer wont't cause a problem, but a worn one might bring one to your attention. You need to check the caster.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 01:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Also check for excessive play in the steering box, balanced tires, king pin bearings, wheel bearings. Jack'er up, grab hold of a wheel and try to turn it left and right, if there is play, go from there, also check the wheel alignment and toe in and toe out.. Lots of things to consider. My steering stabaliser is crap but runs fine on flat ground, hit a bump, yup it goes everywhere, I have lots of play in the steering box tho, I need to fix that.....

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 02:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

88-86 Zuk Service Man. specs replacement of Steering
knuckle seals every 22.5K miles or 18 months and or less if
vehicle front end subject high stress or large mods or
increase work loads or usage. Steering stablizer works in
conjunction with knuckle seals when do one you always do
other and vise-a-versa.

Edit Note:
This is simple Service Man. info on front end 88-86 Sam it
kind'a start here first thing as it tightens front end.
This in not a fix for a warp suspension, bent axle, bent
wheels and or bent miss-a-lined, front steering linkage or castor out and bent frame.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Castor would be my first guess too. Loose and sloppy handling is the main characteristic of bad castor angles.

A steering shock, or lack of, wouldn't cause sloppy handling on the highway at all.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Well i am pretty sure te caster is ok ...however.. how would you recommend i check it properly?

I have noticed one of the steering knuckle's seal is on it's way out, But i don't see how that would effect it enough.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:54 AM

Do you have extended shackles up front? I replaced everything
on the front of mine but it was uncontrollable until I replaced
the front shackles with the stock ones. I just don't feel
like paying $300 for a panhard bar.

Moozuki's home page

http://members.home.net/cryburn
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, i have stock shackles front and back. I decided to take her for anothere test run...So before i left i checked my tire pressure. It was 20 psi, just like the samurai recommends, so i decided to put them up to a nice 30 psi, this would seem more sensible for the tires i am running. And took her down the road/highway. Id did improve a bit but the main problem now is on strait-a-way's. When taking a turn it's nice and smooth.(as if i was driving a sports car.) but as soon as the road straitens out,, its back to somewhat wishy-washy....

I tried to check the caster...at least i think it was the caster... By taking a carpenters magnetic angle finder. I stuck it to 2-3 differnt points on the steering knuckle where i beleived would be level to the ground stock(ie,.. the two bolt heads the stick down directly below the knuckle) Anywho, on several occasions it read about 1 degrees back. (if you were on the left outside of the tire that would mean it is 1 degrees counterclockwise from center..)

Well thats about all the information i have to say... Anyother ideas will help.. I amy trying to get this crooked ness striaghted out...

Also, Does anyone recommend getting a front end alighnment...To me this seems pointless if i will be taking it off road quite often... And the trials around here arnt smooth....neither are the roads for that matter....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode