Yukon gears question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:02 AM
zukiman

Yukon gears question

I'm looking at getting some better gearing since with these big ol' tires, I can use 5th, 4th, or 3rd gear at 70mph! I could go with the tried-and-true Suzuki gears, but I'm curious about the success/failure people have had with the Yukon/US Gears. Not looking for product trashing, just curious what people's recommendations are.

-- Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:12 AM

Re: Yukon gears question

i have used us gears sevral times in the past and had good service out of them every time the gears dont where out very fast

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

They are softer than other gearsets thus won't last very long. But I would buy them over Richmond.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:48 PM

One bit of advice, on the 5.38 Yukons in particular, it is CRITICAL that the FSM be followed and the proper amount of preload be placed on the ring gear carrier bearings when setting the backlash. If they do not have the proper amount of preload, under high loading conditions, the carrier will flex, and the ring gear teeth will walk out onto the end of the teeth, and you will break off the ends of the teeth. Several sets have broken lately, and they have all had insufficient preload. The manufacturer is warning distributors of this, and that they will not warranty a failure resulting from this. It creates a very specific fracture, and it is readily apparent if it occurs. Other than that, they are the way to go, and with proper care during the setup, they are expected to run at least 70K - 80K miles prior to wear patterns setting in. Bill was right, theyare slightly softer than other gears, and while this makes them wear a little sooner, it reduces the tendency to develop micro fissures leading to broken gears.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

where the hell do you get these gears from...I guesse you could pretty much say the bigger you go the more liable you are and I think this applies to this as well! I heard that 5.83's are weak as heck!!! JUst heard that though!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode