Radial vs Bias Swampers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Radial vs Bias Swampers

I was discussing radial and bias Swampers last weekend with someone, and I said I'd post a picture with the difference in the tread pattern. It's attached.

Note how the radial on the left has two center ribs that are continuous and smaller side lugs. They are also over an inch smaller than the bias tires, yet have the same size marked on them (33"). The bias plys on the right have distinct blocks for tread, with much larger side lugs. The bias 32's I have are also 4 ply sidewall, so they are not too stiff, but they may need to be aired down to 4 psi or so, which is fine. Both tires are worn about the same.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-465959-Image347a.jpg (84.6 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 05:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Radial vs Bias Swampers

SOMEONE? SOMEONE? How soon you forget me! I will believe they work well on a zook when I see it.
(I have seen them work okay on Jeeps, but they where also talking about sipping them more too.)
If you can't step on the sidewall (Unmounted) and it folds under I think that you are handicapping your self. (I will qualifiy this, This is for New England type wheeling,For a somewhat stock weight zook for other parts of the world I may be just blowing smoke. Your milage may vary.) Bias ply will have a heavier sidewall, I have run both bias and radial before, (Not swampers Mind you)
Its kind of a Chev Vs frd thing I think. I like a tire that will wrap itself around the things I need to go over,
and give me more traction. I am also willing to buy tires more often if they get chewed up and spit out in the process.. (I guess it's a hold over from my motorcycle trails days.)

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

I deleted the names to protect the innocent.

Yeah, that's it.

I wouldn't forget about you Glenn, I keep dreaming about the hybrid axle and disc brakes. I gotta get the double pulley for OBA, and the full cage is going in this weekend as well as mouting the winch.

I'll have to see, if they don't work well, they'll be an easy sell to the Jeep crowd. I'm also taking the stock Zuk rims and flipping the center of them, so I'll have 2" of back spacing on a 5.5" rim. Should have prototype #1 done tonight and I'll let you know how it balances tomorrow. It's a PITA cutting just the center section off, but I think I have a procedure down now. Man, a lathe would be handy.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That would be a BIG lathe to do the cut out!

Glenn
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

What, you don't have one yet? Glenn, you're slipping...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I have 2 lathes but they are only 12" swing.

Glenn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 07:52 PM

Back to your dreaming about 4ply flexing nice.......WAKE UP Helloooooo "4ply flexing nice" is an oxymoron kinda like what you and Glenn say about military intellegence.... That tire in the pics is not the same that you had that was siped all over the lugs. Im confused as to what your running. I thought you said you had a pic of Zookys tires. Those dont look like them, but of course im wrong 1/10 of the time. Are you feeling lucky?

The NY auction was a bomb, but an odd thing happened on the way back. I found two kittens abandoned off the highway. Pisses me off when people do crap like that. I didnt want them to get hit, so i took them. Heidi is going to flip when she see's them. She called me while i was driving and the cats where meowing and she kept on saying "what is that? I swear i hear a cat?!" And i just said "HUH? hunny im driving, must be static on your line i cant hear anything." LOL The cat kept meowing and she kept on saying "can you hear it? There it is again!" And id just blow her off denying everything. Im a Baaaadddd man. Its a brother and sister, and they are mouthy as all get out. I was thinking of taking them to zuki melt for billy bob to do something with on cook duty. hmmm....

Write me tommorow about what ever it was you wanted picked up and ill get to it tommorow night.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 07:57 PM

that's fine Max, give them to Billy Bob for KP. I just hope they don't come out as kitty burgers, I'm sure we all get enough of that from McDonalds. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
My cat just had kittens and I've never seen so many people want one. I was really worried I was gonna have a hard time finding homes for them and now I have a waiting list. They are only 2 weeks old though, so I have a lot of time before they have new homes. Just trying not to get to attached.

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same kind of run in' max!

I am riding my bike(been riding all day for like 50 MILES!!! and I am only like 11) when these 2 kittens came out of this tall grass by the ditch I stopped and of course picked them up and when I looked in the ditch I found a tore open trash bag that had a stench so I did not dare go near it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]!! So I hiked with them for like 2 miles until I could get a box...problem was it was a corona box! Oh yah I know I looked like a easy target.."lets see 11 year ol' kid riding a bike with a beer box that jiggles, oh yah he is definitely drunk or something!!!LOL" So I pulled back into the apartment complex I was staying in and thinking I was home free when..," Hey were are you going with that box??" I remember thinking oh $hit!!!!!!! So I show them the kittens go tell my brother get apraised by his wife and get my a$$ chewed out by my brother we finally gave them away though but man that was one heck of a day!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Yeah, I used to have some pics of Zooky's tires, but I can't find the Zookin' 2K pictures.

Yes, 4 ply will flex, trust me young grasshopper. Cool on the kittens, thanks for saving them, you're OK, no matter what anyone says.

The first pic of the flipped center is attached, I'll post the painted version in a minute. It looks like it'll work, but I'll see tomorrow when I try to have it balanced in the morning. If it doesn't balance, I'll just use it as a spare. It has 2" of backspacing now instead of the 4" of the stock rim. I tell you, I could make a killing selling reversed stock Zuki rims to the Jeep crowd, they'd buy them all day long.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-467021-Image039.jpg (67.0 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode