cheap.........HEADER PAINT!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cheap.........HEADER PAINT!!!

O.K. fellars as some of us know I just bought a header and finally got to put it on my zuk!!! we connected the cherry bomb back up and everything and decided to fire her up to check for a leak were the reducer/ header meet..nothing(did not haev to weld $hit!) so we fire her right up lot more better tone etc. I wheel it in the yard and smell this nasty burning smell. So I stop and smoke is going everywhere so we shut it down and I drop to my knees and start saying the lords prayer as he pops the hood....damn header paint smoking away!!!!

P.S. just for $hits n' giggles...this is normal right??!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: cheap.........HEADER PAINT!!!

All new exhaust systems are going to smell very very very! bad for about 2 days or so.... Seems like the header paint has been burned or rusted away on all the headers I've seen except the calmini ones (the DT chrome ones too). I dunno.., maybe get some of that 3200239843029 degree paint from the local parts store, I dunno if you should apply it if the existing paint has not been vaporised yet.. The good ole calmini looks 100% new! If you go dunking in water lots (like I do), the header regardless will wear out.. Let the stuff burn off (dont go into water, don't want any rust yet), scrape all the char off the pipes and repaint them. Seems like a good idea, maybe just leave'm alone?

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah I really do not care what color they end up!!! Thanx a lot man...I am finally glad to be done with exhaust donuts and such!! My last manifold was cracked and blowing donuts like crazy and letting exhaust escape so I finally got a real connection and now my exhaust sounds great..of by the way I run the exact same muffler you do..more power to the bomb baby!!!!!!LOL

Thanx
Studly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 04:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a set of GENIE extractors hooked up to my SJ413. The first time I drove it she smoked up really hard - like yours did. I was warned that it may do this by my mate at the exhaust shop. I have since done a tonne of beach and salt water driving without putting anything on them.

They do have a sort of surface rusting thing going on but it's nothing to be concerned about. I didn't even bother to scrap the burnt crud off them.

They have been running for over three years now with regular dunks in salt water. To look at they are nearly as good as the day I bought them, and they function the same as when I bought them.

My suggestion if you do want to paint them would be to go to your local auto parts shop and get some hightemp exhaust or brake caliper paint. This stuff will protect your headers from further rusting or otherwise and will make them look kewl also. One thing to watch would be the temp of the headers as the paint does help them to retain a little heat. again nothing to be overlly concerned about.

just my 2c worth.

ps: make sure you prep the headers properly before applying the hightemp paint or you will find the paint may or may not stick and if it does the rusting will continue underneath the paint without you being able to see it.

have fun dude and email me if you want more info. I can make a few calls to my exhaust buddies for ya.

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.

Need some custom graphic/new media design done?
Visit http://www.newflavour.com today!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:10 AM
Skip

When new headers are painted by the manufacturer they use regular paint. Header or high temp paint wil rub off at the touch until it is heated. What happened is normal. You just burned off cheap paint. If you want your header to have a decent paint job scrape all the existing paint off, wipe it down with acetone or laquer thinner, paint it with high temp paint. Don't touch it. Start it up and let it get hot. You're done. It will smoke a little and smell bad for a bit.

Skip
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

to tell you the truth I am really not to concerned about how it looks just its perfomance! HOWEVER yall were right when yall were talking about it being close to the block...it is about 1" right away from the tranny/engine connection!!! But this should not be a problem correct??!!

Thanx
Studly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode