panhard - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

panhard

has anyone tried this panhard on a Samurai?

zoomy4
(old hand)
6/21/01 09:25 PM
Attachment
Re: Traction bar kit for the rear @ 70.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can buy a 30" Competition Engineering Panhard Bar from Summit Racing for only $73.95. Comes with the rod ends and brackets. All you have to do is weld it in and you can save yourseld a lot of money. Sorry about the fuzzy picture. I think the catalog moved when I was scanning it.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...

88 Sam 4.16,welded rear,lock-rite frnt,31"Hi-tech muds on Ford truck wagon wheels, 4.5 spoa,5k quick mount Ramsey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: panhard

Firstly the picture didn't work for me.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you can use the panhard out of a jimny or sidekick. I've heard of it being done, and done on the cheap. I just can't remember which rig it's from.

I'll make a few calls and get back to you tonight.

Spidertrax make a panhard kit also, but am unsure on it's price.

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.

Need some custom graphic/new media design done?
Visit http://www.newflavour.com today!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

spider-traxes is 300 whopping, sucking, debt making dollars!

Man every time I look at that little diagram they have I swear it can be made hell they use there own tubing in it which they sell for like 5 bucks! It can be done and if I had the shop etc. to do it I would but I damn sure aint got the skills anyway!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spidertrax panhard is costly, but throwing money at a generic made track bar is simply throwing it away. You want the panhard to exactly match the length of your drag link. Otherwise, it will bind and cause some really freaky things to happen. The mounting system is also a key part of the Spidertrax kit.

A tube with two rod ends is pretty worthless. I bet Anton would make you one for $10 if that's all you want.

There is some engineering that goes into a proper panhard system.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:09 AM

THe husband just made ours this weekend. Went down to the local Racing shop and told them the deminsions that he needed...Hymns joints and tabs and all cost us 38 dollars... Granted you need to know how to weld to go this route and some fabbing is needed...but 38 compared to 300 is a huge savings.
Rae

Sooner or Later you will be shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look just right.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Now, I like your tag line![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Try this, "May your four wheels roll you safely home.!

(\);=

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:43 AM

quality isnt cheap

spidertrax makes very high quality items, and therefore has a relatively high price... but if you buy one of their items, it will be the last time you buy that particular mod because it will have been done right and it WILL stand up to any abuse you throw at it...

yes spidertrax is in the business to make money (who isnt), but they are also in it to make high quality products that NO ONE else can compare to... they will have many, many happy repeat customers due to their service and high quality of products...

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:16 AM
Can't Get Enough

Take a closer look. This panhard bar is not designed for the front axle housing and even when using it in the rear 'some modifications may be needed' as it also states. Making a front panhard bar is not as hard as some may think. Yeah, there is some math that has to be figured out, but any off the shelf chassis book has the formulas you would need. You have to use the same book if you would want to set-up a 4-link rear suspension correctly for proper launches. Heck, lav25 built a front panhard bar for the front of his Samurai and total cost were about $90 for rod ends, tubing and brackets. No binding or freaky things going on with his front end, but yeah if you just took that one from Competition Engineering and welded on the front you would get some freaky things.

87' Samurai/1.6 Tracker/40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/shackle lift/CJ-Sami springs/Cross over steering/4" Pitman arm/31x13.50 TSL-SX/Pumpkin caps/Roll cage and bumpers in progress...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:20 AM

oh i agree that it can be done... dont get me wrong, i wasnt knocking any of ya'lls fabbing skills

all i was getting at was the fact that the spidertrax kit is high quality, and priced accordingly....

not sure about ya'll but i dont have as hard a time letting go of my money when i know that what im getting will last a long time.............

Steve [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'88 Suzuki Samurai
'99 Toyota Tacoma (Tow Vehicle)
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

The stock drag link is around 30" so the length should work but I would try it only on a leaf spring truck ie. not coils. If your doing coils remember the panhard bar is the only link that keeps you in control!
But even on a leaf spring make sure it is set up right or IT WILL effect control.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode