Calmini 3" Opinins wanted. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Calmini 3\" Opinins wanted.

Well my samurai deal fell through (bummer) but now I need to decide if I want to find another or just keep the Tracker and built it a bit different. Anyone offer any opinions on the Calmini 3" suspension for the Sidekick/Tracker? It is really my only option for my truck so let me know what you think!

93 Tracker, ProComp, Calmini, 31's, Thorley, K&N, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 08:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Calmini 3\" Opinins wanted.

Here's the best I think you can do.
http://www.puresuzuki.com/sidekick_tracker.htm

Saw a guy running this set up (he made his own body lift) at Paragon and was doing great. Kept up with the Spidertrax trucks.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:00 AM
ronin

Calmini has some good stuff. The only thing I can fault them on is that a lot of it rusts in about a month[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Case in point, my muffler from there went in about 2 months. Completely covered in rust. It was worse than the one I replaced and it was over 12 years old. Why they chose to use non stainless steel for something that would see off road and probably a lot of mud and water I'll never know. Example number two, I got a steering stabilizer and skid plate for a Sidekick from them. The two bolts they supplied to replace the ones in the lower control A-arms have already rusted after about a month. Why they couldn't have put Stainless steel bolts in the kit is beyond me. The steering stabalizer and skid plate are holding up well though and I am happy with their performance.

As for the lift itself, have you checked into the Sidekick Lift that Rocky Road carries?
http://www.rocky-road.com/kickmisc.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:30 AM

I saw the 3" suspension lift at paragon with tim. It was on Kerri's rig and his rig was great up to one point. He kept breaking the front diff because of the ifs. I talked to steve at calmini for a long time on this and although he has not done it, there is the option of stuffing a solid sami axle up there. I really think that doing that will make it better then the sammi, and i think for next year I am going to start on a tracker possibly. Here is my suggestion on that, if you are going to build a tracker, build one that is 96-98, they have a better spline count up front that is stronger. If i can get a good price on a rig that has ac, pwr strng, and fits that year, im going to buy it with the 16v in it. These are all mods i wont have to make, do the 6" lift and stuff the solid axle up there and off i go with a cage in it and shielded, itll kick butt on and off road for drivability. I actually just ordered the 6" lift for my boss's rig that im building for him....

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

which is easier to install?
the clamini body lift or the rock road?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We have a 2.5" suspension that uses Old Man Emu springs. The ride quality of the OME suspension is better than anything produced in the U.S. for your vehicle.

Combine it with the 2" body lift for our Rock-Steady combo deal.

http://www.rocky-road.com/kickmisc.html

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

have OME 1.5" set of coils and shockes
plus 1" of spacers giving me toal 2.5"
running 235/75/15 MT (29")
riding is 10!!!!!!! on and off road
used to have the procomp 2.5" set wich was harsh and felt like summy not a tracker
lockers??
got ARB fr amd rr!!!! sometime i feel like big suzuki atv

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-465125-DCP_1073.jpg (57.4 KB, 2 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 10:38 AM
Can't Get Enough

Mini4x,
IMOP if you can swing a Samurai, I would look for another one. All I can say is cheap cheap cheap to build. That Calmini kit for the kick is $900!
1. SPOA (if you can do it yourself) $300 Tops
2. GRS1 $400
3. Lockright $180
And you have $20 Left over! Of course this would be on top of the cost of the truck.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 10:49 AM

Not to start a debate or anything, but it is a bolt on so why dont you compare the bolt on coil suspension for a samuri? Oh thatd be 1250$ on sale of course, thatd save you even more money. What your not adding up in your calculations are the money it takes to purchase and install a power steering kit, box, pump, resevior, or the 16v engine, or the ac for onboard air. Thatd be priced up the cheap way at right around 1400$. I sell the engines for 650$ plus 50$ for each item, ecm, harness, and airbox. Thats 800$ plus shipping then the steering is 200$ plus shipping and the ac unit is the same. I would say building a tracker is cheaper then a sammi at this point, and with aftermarket suppliers doing more stuff with them (not more then the sammi now) it will only drop in price to modify these puppies.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

I'd go with the Calmini, I have yet to hear anything negative about it. I'd only go 3" though. If you need/want more height add some OME springs and re-radius the fenders. Not a fan of body lifts...

If a used ProComp lift is an option, stay away. They suck (used to have it - still in a box somewhere).

c.
--
http://root.moose.ca/~chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode