exhaust ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

exhaust ?

I need to replace my exhaust from the manifold all the way back. I have a stock engine. I need to run a cat because of smog check. I was wondering what is the most common/best pipe diameter with a stock engine. I want a free flowing muffler but probably not a glass pack, want it to be quiet also. Am thinking about running the tail pipe straight out the back. I will probably have a shop do this but I can kind of custom design it with the guy that owns the shop.
Thanks for any recommendations!

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai (Shih Tzuki)stock drivetrain/Calmini 2" SR/235-15 Hi Tec MT's/rem. doors with quick disconnects/Robyn 23 Chan CB/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 06:55 PM
4xRonin

Re: exhaust ?

Andy, increasing the dia. to 2" is a common upgrade. I would advise NOT running the pipe straight out the back. The fumes are pretty strong with a straight out tail pipe.

Scott Whitmore
"It's not that it's able to do the job. It's that it does the job so well"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just finished reading previous posts about fumes & retaining the stock bend in the rear. Amazing how such a small thing can make a big difference but I've experienced the same thing with other vehicles. Thanks for the reply.

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai (Shih Tzuki)stock drivetrain/Calmini 2" SR/235-15 Hi Tec MT's/rem. doors with quick disconnects/Robyn 23 Chan CB/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Smog checks are not common down here in FL but the guys @ the muffler shops are pissy if you do any mods to your rig.. I am running a 12 dollar turbo II 2" in/out muffler made by the cherry bomb people. No cat or anything else, I am shooting the exhaust out of the drivers side about 7~10 inches in front of the rear tire and have a down spout on the end too. I also painted it black with some thermal paint, looks pretty spiff. The fumes are reeeal bad with no spout and straight back, a down spout helps, but shooting the exhaust out the side fixed everything! I was sick fer a while because of the fumes. *cough, *cough*, sniff, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... All better now..

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey nowhere I am running that same exhaust except for now I have a header! Man it is loud but I kind of like it cause it makes the engine sound like a bigger one!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Pretty much what everyone else said...

I have a Thorley header, cat and then 2.25" exhaust with a free-flow muffler. The pipe exits to the side behind the rear wheel. The exhaust guy reccomended 2.25 with the header and it seems to work well. It noticeably improved performance before the engine started to decline in its advanced age. The rebuilt engine does well with it too!

Only problem: It is LOUD! (Or perhaps throat-y) I might suggest a quieter muffler if you want to be friends with your noise-pollution-sensitive neighbors.

Acker

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode