Wiring Warn to Samurai - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Wiring Warn to Samurai

Hi folks,

I just bought a used Warn XD9000i for my 92' Samurai. Do you have any suggestions how to wire it correctly? I would like to use it at off-road events. I guess the battery (ies) will not get charged very much in this case.

Is a two battery-system better than one big battery?
Should I use a relay (connected with the igintion) to disconnect battery 1 and battery 2 (for winching) to prevent the batteries from decharging each other when the car is stopped? Is it useful to use a diode to enable any current induced from the winch to get further than the winching battery?
Is the stock genenerator / dynamo big enough? It is a 23 / 55 Amps.

Please send me your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

norbert

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wiring Warn to Samurai

My two cents is:

I've seen dual 55 amp alts run, dedicating one to the winch. I've seen dual batterie set ups as similar to what you described. And I've seen the simpler approach, using 105 and larger alts.

How much work do you want to do? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 04:23 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have w WARN 8000i, with the stock alt(for now) and one normal red top optima. all is fine, I never had a winch fest though, but a freind and I did at the NWRCA event with my winch/optima and his Samurai and we did fine no probs. but a 100 amp would'nt hurt either. The pics are on my site.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/NWRCA.html

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Hi Neal,

thanks for the answer. Yes I am not afraid to put in some mo' work for wiring my winch. I am still working on the bumper to take the warn 9000. I cut out a bit of the front sheet metal to put the weight as close to the front axle a s possible. I hope this helps to maintain a good weight balance without disturbing our legal regulations.

Back to the wiring:
I would like to go for a system with two batteries as I want to be able to start the car with the first battery even though the winch has finished the second battery.
Do you think it is necessary to have both, the relais and the diode between battery one and two?
Is the magnetic switch from a starter strong enough to handle the current of the winch?
I would like to install a stronger generator only if necessary, as I want to swap a Vitara engine later on.

Please give me a short notice for the above questions.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

norbert

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dunno about the double battery set up, that wasn't the way I went, so I didn't ask too many questions. I just went up to the GM 105 alt. I seriously thought about the dual stock alt because I happened to have about 4 of them sitting around at the time, but got lazy. If you would rather go that route, I'd be happy to offer you one of them. I use a Superwinch 6k lb winch and have not a prob in the world withthe set up.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 04:40 AM
Alfie

My warn 2500lb wich just hooked to the battery, Heh Heh.

9000lbs ? whew lordy lordy.
You have to fit new springs for that?

Just a bit of fun there, good luck
Alfie

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got a warn 2500u winch that has 20' jumper cables (4 guage wire) not booster cables (crap!!) that I can move arount the zook. I've got 2 snatch pullies so I can pull myself out if i am in it good! I've got lots of winch gear!
I also have this little pos battery in there! it is about 4" across and about 10 inches long! ajahhahahah, I think it has a reserve of about 50 amp hours! Yeah, I could use a larger battery! Sams has a very large truck battery for 100 bucks. 2000 amps and 400 amp hours reserve. you could power a 1 amp 12v bulb for 17 days with that battery..

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor, Z-bar, Xenon lights, diamond plate rockers, tubes front, rear, & sides!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Hi Neal,

thanks for the offer. As I am living in Germany i'd rather look for alocal supplier.

Best regards,

Norbert

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 04:00 PM

if it was me i would just hook it up and try it . if you do the 2 battery setup just have the seliond you dont need the dieode .have it wired when you turn your key off. it shuts power off to just 1 battery .you dont have to have it where it shuts off both. one will do the samething keep them from fighting each other. but in my case i have a gm 105 amp HEHEHE

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Germany? I can almost throw this little alternator that far. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just not accurate enough, I might hit the Nederlands or even overthrow and hit Poland.

Good luck to ya Norbert!

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode