Off Roading Forums banner

Wheel question

434 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SAMURAE 
G
#1 ·
I am running 33 12.5' on old cj5 mag alloys. The guys at national tire and wheel stated that it has a positive offset, or inset. Anyway the wheel goes to the inside more than the outside. Anyway the tires rub on the springs. he also said that if I got a standard black steel wheel I would clear the springs without rubbing. I just got new tires and don't need them rubbing on the springs. So all you big tire running guys talk to me what do I need?

Thanks

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html

G
#2 ·
I solved my rubbing prolems with Spidertrax spacers.I have 15x10 with 4" backspace 33x12.50 tires. Or you can buy new wheels with 2.75" backspace from several vendors for about the same price.

Bluecrawler.......1988Sami,Spoa,1.5springs,33s,lockers,5.13gears,etc,etc

#3 ·
You'll need new rims with a better offset or spacers. A standard backspacing will rub on the springs, and bad, even on 7" or 8" rims with those tires.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#5 ·
2" backspacing works, not sure, but you may get away with 2.5" with your tires (large or small side lugs?). It'll make a difference as to what size rim you're running as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#7 ·
I am not running tires that wide, but I know Wildweasel is, and on 2" backspaced rims, the tires he's running are also similar. I'd suggest giving him a shout and asking how much space he has left between the tire and spring at full lock.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

#8 ·
I am running 33x12.50's on 15x8 rims with 2" of backspacing. they work very well No rubbing on the springs.
You might be able to get away with 2.5" or 2.75" But no
more than that. The only problems I had was too much flex,
(Missing links W rear springs upfront) In the front New bumpstops fixed that. *I have a little custom siping to prove it.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html

#11 ·
We are running the same tires on a 15x8 with a 2-1/2 back spaced rim and spidertrax one in wheel spacers. that is working for us.
Rae

Sooner or Later you will be shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look just right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.