ford 2.8L v-6 in samurai - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ford 2.8L v-6 in samurai

Excellent! Thanks bunches. I assumed it was already EFI.

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:17 PM
Addict

the 2.9 and 4.0 are fuel injected, but not the 2.8. the is the reason i went with the 2.8, i didn't want to mess with the fuel injection.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been trying to get away from this
Weber, but didn't want to mess with EFI on the 1.3. I want something with some 'Umph". This sounds like the ticket.

Thanks for the info.

Neal the Zukiguy

"If it is '...a Jeep thing...' I hope it isn't contagious"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim Lund from Wild West Off Road in Tenino Wa.sells the kit to install the 2.6, 2.8, and 2.9 ford v6 in the samurai (is a bolt in).I used a C4 auto and married it to a jeep transfer. The other person i got my information from used the stock transfer case but your top speed would probably be about 50 MPH because the samurai transfer case is not a 1 to 1 ratio in high range. If you look on the net under Wildwest off road he has some information on the conversion along with phone # and E-Mail address. Note this conversion does require a spring over and some mods to the transmission tunnel but does fit rather well. I have a 3 core radiator for a 65 mustang but I am having some trouble keeping it cool think it has to do with air flow although I have a 16" electric fan on front and a 14" flex fan on the motor side. Still working on that problem. I changed the motor thinking I might have a problem with the motor I rebuilt put a used one in and it does the same thing which makes me think its air flow. Any other Questions I will try to answer with what I have. Reuel

post #25 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cool.. the more and more i think about that swap, the more i wanna do it... but i know i cant since the money isnt there hehe. but tell me when you get that heating problem fixed and how plz.

~GooT~
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Do not drink and park, accidents cause people.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 01:37 AM
Addict

my motor runs at 180-200 degree's in normal driving. I am running a stock 2 core radiator out of a late 60's bronco(don't know the year for sure) and a singe electric fan. when i rev the motor alot, like when i am stuck in a mud hole, or going 50mph down the hiway, then it does get hotter, i am not sure if it would overheat or not, because i always let off when it starts getting that way.
I am having some troubles with the motor though. If i use a 15lbs radiator cap it uses alot of water, and have white smoke come out the exhaust, but if i use a 7lbs cap then it dosn't use any water or have white smoke, but it bubbles water it out into the overflow, even though the temp is only 180-200. kinda makes me think i have a blown head gasket.
i used the stock zuki tcase and tracker gears, and i am geared way to low for street driving. 35-40mph is confortable, i can do 50, but the motor feels like it is going to fly apart. i will probably go back to stock axle gears and get a 4 to 1 tcase.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #27 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 12:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just adding fuel to the "engine swap" fire:

The 2.3 FORD (inline 4 cyl) came in front of the C4 tranny too. It's available either EFI or carbed. Plenty of horse power and a pretty small package.

Is that 2.8 the same V6 that was offered in the Pinto? I had one of those, and couldn't get it to run right. I'm just not a fan.......

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5
post #28 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i can get my hands on a 84 broncoII been rolled and only have 1st gear and the front axle is broken but the 2.8 run great for 50 buck then have to find a short trany but i want to keep the stick shift any one know if one from a ranger be short enough

Flaming Zuki [/b]"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid"
post #29 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah but you lose the one luxury of a sammy to gain another...mileage even though this may pay off in power mileage is were I give my zuk the most credit!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #30 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:14 PM
Addict

The problem with using the 2.3, is that it is heavier and longer than the 2.8. but otherwise, the turbo 2.3 would be pretty cool. there is a guy on the topica list that did the 2.3 and is pretty happy with it.

i think the 2.9fi would be the way to go if you wern't scared of doing the wiring.

you would be suprised to how easy the ford v6 fits in the samurai, it basically just bolts in with the wild west motor mounts.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode