whats your idea for the perfect bulletproof zook? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 02:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

whats your idea for the perfect bulletproof zook?

i would like to hear any ideas with all of your infinite wisdom about how to build the most capable zook trail rig for $3000 or less. (i have all tools and skills to make whatever i need so the $3000 should be just parts cost) i already have a body minus motor to start with. what have you wanted to do but didn't ? or layed awake at night designing in your head. ? i'm pretty wide open but, it must have a non szuki motor with at least 100 hp , and it must have bigger axles cause i wanna run 38's, don't be afraid of rediculus ideas, i just might do it cause i like to be different.

86 JX SAMMY WITH SPOA + ADDITIONAL 3" DROP BRACKETS AND MISSINLINKS FRONT REAR TOY SPRINGS WITH CUSTOM DROP LINK, LOCK -RITED, 33" SUPER SWAMPER TSL'S, FULL CAGE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 09:44 AM

Re: whats your idea for the perfect bulletproof zook?

you might investigate the *small* chevy engine + SM420 idea... (there is a tread out there)

this will be a fine base to build up...

then
spoa, dual lockers

i would not go taller than 35s" tho... in sami-world bigger is not always better...

stick around beefed up stock axles w/ 33"... they will give you the same pumpkin clearance as say... dana44 w/ 35s .... dont get cought by the what i call "progressive spiral".... or you will wind up like a bodybuilder that is so full of muscles that his own muscles get in his way (have you ever seen a bodybuilder run fast?????)

in my humble opinion... the art in building a sami is to know where the limits are... my spoa 31" 4.16 gear rear locker basically climbs everything i point it at (except fone-poles)... the only mod i still could do would be a front locker...

keep in mind the samurai philosophy.... it was built as a great small truck, and if you leave this path you will loose more performance than you will gain

alfred

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 10:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I couldn't have said it better.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 12:02 PM

A giant hampster ball. You won't fit on most trails, but you should be safe in there.

Seriously, the only item that I feel is absolutely necessary is a full cage.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would talk to Tim Porter,he has built some of the best zuks around like hes Boggerai(44inch Boggers),XS-Parts(33 inch Boggers),and has helped build Jeff pollocks(35 inch Boggers),RR(33 inch Boggers),Ed Chesters (Can wait to see Ed's new zuk)Rick Lance's zuk.And others take a look on izook.com Or even talk to Brent Bradshaw he has built some nice ones also.One other person that would be good to talk to would be Mike Dugan at zukisouth.com he has a hand in building some pretty awsome zuks.But i would say keep it light go with a built 1.3 or 1.6 grs 1 t-case with 5:12 gears lockers front and rear with yota P/S a full cage and 33 inch boggers and a CSC spoa YJ conv. and a warn 9000 i winch.Or if you want to go with a bigger tire use yota axels with 5:29 gear with a grs 2 this would be geared real low .But $3000 theres a t-case wheels and tires your CSC ,warn winch,and you still might have anough to get gears and lockers. just my .02 cents

QuadZuki,87 spoa,33"wild countrys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-462507-XS-PARTS.jpg (20.0 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 01:03 PM

alfred nailed it!! i put a 12a rotary in a 86 a few years back--you wouldn't beleive how a zuk can flap until you pass 100mph 0r 9000rpm in 3rd!!! downright scary!! i've also wheeled with some lightning conversions--very nice but not needed to go anywhere you want. with my rig i can drive 600 miles in a day & wheel in pretty extreme stuff the next day & drive home that night!! don't break much stuff--spare parts just take up room!! good luck with whatever you do!!

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HMMMMMMMMMM!...3 GRAND MAN I WOULD HAVE SOME FUN WITH THAT!

WELL START OFF WITH SOME YOTER AXLES (4.10 GEARS ETC.!) THEN GET SOME KIND OF USED LIFT SPRINGS!

THEN RUN SOME CRAWLER GEARS

GET SOME GOOD USED 35'S

UP-GRADE TO A 1.6 16V ENGINE

P.S. IF YOU DID IT RIGHT YOU WOULD END UP HITTING THE 3000 MARK AND YOU WOULD HAVE A BAD ZUK!!!!!!!!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 04:51 PM

I have been kicking the idea around of a chevy 4.3 V-6 with either toy axles or danas

Mark
90 samurai,5.5 SPOA,2"over shackles,front locker,welded rear 31-10.50 swamper TSLs removable doors,working on onboard air,
I need transfer case gears BAD!!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 05:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with the keep it off the steroids.I have a 88 zuke,4.3eng.,350 custom automatic,5;38 GEARS,4:16 T-CASE,Welded in back,locker up front,rear springs in front,jeep front springs in back,ML,ect-ect.If you go with a big motor ,drive with class or buy lots of spare parts.I admire the stock ones [zukikid]who goes about everywhere I do.Gear it and drive it and it wont cost you a arm and leg to keep it running.I hope you can make it to the melt and check out all the semi-stock rigs that can go anywhere because 90% of it is the driver not the zuke.my 2 cents,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do a 4 link coil set up in the rear with 3" lifted xj coil springs and rancho lifted yj springs in the front ( its what i have) I love my dohc 1.3 GTi engine but later on im goin for carbed 4.3. A seat conversion is a must have.

88 sami ,toy axles, 4 link coils,35" swampers,twin cam,alot of mud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode