has anybody ever put a SM420 tranny in a sami? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

has anybody ever put a SM420 tranny in a sami?

... hi,

i am just wondering... if anybody has ever put the SM420 transmission into the sami?

why .....?????? ....it is designed for a divorced transfer case, it is compact and it has a 7.05 (!) first gear....

just one more of my weirdo ideas

alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: has anybody ever put a SM420 tranny in a sami?

That's a Chevy tranny right? It should bolt onto a 4.3L since I'm pretty sure it came behind a 350 V8. Now that would be a combination to be wreckoned with in a Sami.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

actually we have several sammys that run out of New Orleans most of which are extreme!!! 350's v-6 vortecs 3.8 pontiacs the #1 I've seen is a 1.6 supercharger,on 36" supers in the mud and water it'll kick some serious high dollar a$$.light,with power look out.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was gonna do it 2 years ago and lost the deal on the tranny. it would not be worth doin unless you had a chevy motor. you could use several like 229 v-6, 350 v-8, 4.3 0r 4.5 v-6. but unless you're gonna swap the entire drivtrain i would suggest the following. the iron duke jeep 4 cyl had a little over 100 hp and if someone has one they'll probably give it to ya, and the old vega gt 151 4 cyl. don't laugh, they are overhead cam with a 4" bore and 145 hp stock. should be able to drive one home for less than $200 when you find it. the 74-77 models had sleeved blocks to eliminate the smokin problem. post picsif ya do it.

86 JX SAMMY WITH SPOA + ADDITIONAL 3" DROP BRACKETS AND MISSINLINKS FRONT REAR TOY SPRINGS WITH CUSTOM DROP LINK, LOCK -RITED, 33" SUPER SWAMPER TSL'S, FULL CAGE!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 08:52 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have one of those Iron Duke 4 cyls in the Scrambler, and let me tell you, it's a grat little motor. The only lack for power is in the mud, otherwise I don't even notice it's a 4 cyl. I swapped out the whole drivetrain, but kept that engine. I'll eventually got to a 350, but only because I want to run more mud. I could bake the tires from a standstill in 2nd gear, and the engine would lug to 300 rpm's and still recover at the blip of the throttle. There is a following of people that use the motor, and they modify it using boat motor parts to get 200 hp out of it. Mine also gets 22 mpg pushing a Jeep that weighs well over 3,000 lbs, sitting on 33" Swampers with 3.73's. I have a spare if anyone is interested.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 10:37 AM

I was thinkin' about a Vega engine. My local wrecking yard has a junked Cosworth with a complete drivetrain. The people there don't even know what it is! They won't sell it whole but I bet I could get the engine for a song...

Give it to me; I'll break it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SEEMS LIKE I REMEMBER THE COSWOTH HAD A DUAL OVERHEAD CAM AND FUEL INJECTION AND PUT OUT 200 HP!!!!! ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE?

86 JX SAMMY WITH SPOA + ADDITIONAL 3" DROP BRACKETS AND MISSINLINKS FRONT REAR TOY SPRINGS WITH CUSTOM DROP LINK, LOCK -RITED, 33" SUPER SWAMPER TSL'S, FULL CAGE!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Vega's never had steel sleeves from the factory,only machine shop rebuild's have them.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ANOTHER IDEA if you could get a yoke on the input shaft of the sm420 you could put it between the sammy tranny and t-case. now that'd be sweeeeeeet. not smart enough to do the math but it'd be looooow!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

hmmm... the math...

sami 1st gear: 3,5:1 (someone got the exact #)?
sm420 1st: 7.05
samy transfer 2,5 (exact #?)
r/p 3.73 (right?)

that would give you a 3,5*7.05*2,5*3.73=

230:1 crawl ratio (give or take)

fyi: the sami w/ 4.16 gears gets 55:1, stock its about 35:1

later
alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode