DF or Petroworks Clutch? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DF or Petroworks Clutch?

Ok,they have been out for a while now so has anyone tried the Petroworks clutch yet?I run the DualFriction,and like it for the most part.My son needs a new one and can't decide on which to pick.

Bluecrawler.......1988Sami,Spoa,1.5springs,33s,loc kers,5.13gears,etc,etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: DF or Petroworks Clutch?

Well I decieded on the Petroworks one after some research and asking the same question here. The advantage to the
PW one is that you can slip it when you need to, Say starting up again n a rock or just needing to slip it to start off anywhere. the DF is Kind of on or off. Good clutch
but you can't slip it I guess.I know Yankee Tim has the PW
and likes it and so do A few others , One fellow had a problem with his and had to replace it. I am installing mine
this weekend.I'll let you know how I like it.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats the only thing I dont like about my DF clutch,its either on or off.Let me know how it works out.......

Bluecrawler.......1988Sami,Spoa,1.5springs,33s,loc kers,5.13gears,etc,etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 03:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I must say, I really like the clutch. Over a year of use and 10,000 miles and no problems (knock on wood).

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 02:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Installed the PW clutch last night went in no sweat(almost like I had done this 4-5 times before...) It has a nice light feel , you can slip it some when starting off and road manners are great. I am not sure if I will get off-road in serious rocks before the 'Melt to test it in hard conditions. If I do I will let you know.

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 07:52 PM
zukiman

I have the Petroworks clutch and I really love it. You can read my product review of it here: http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/reviews/petroclutch.htm

I haven't driven with a Centerforce Dual Friction, but many have complained about it being a drag racing clutch, more of an on/off toggle switch that lacks the progressiveness we need for rockcrawling and such. Other people love theirs though, so I guess it's a matter of preference.

I did have the Centerforce Gold clutch for many years, and it worked very well for me until I wore it out. It drove very much like a "scaled down" version of the Petroworks clutch: nice and progressive, yet strong clamping power. It survived many years of abuse as a rockcrawler and as a daily driver. I have also had a stock clutch (wore it out back when my Samurai was essentially stock), and the Sachs Heavy-Duty clutch (removed it because it didn't have enough clamping power for my combination of tires, gearing, and motor).

The Petroworks clutch is my favorite. It is "soft" and progressive when you first start letting the pedal up, but once it's engaged, it does not want to slip. It's the best of both worlds. It costs more than other clutches (except the DF) but this is a case where you get what you pay for.

I can't estimate how long it will last, but I've put almsot 10,000 miles on it now and have had no problems with it. Nor has it needed adjustment. Its only curiosity is the "sandpapery" noise it makes when I slip the clutch. It must be coming from the bronze pads as they slip before 100% lockup. Even under the slightest slipping of the clutch you can distinctly hear the "sandpaper." It's strange, but it works! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-- Geoff Beasley

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 09:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The sandpaper sound is the pucks starting to grab. I use that sound to know when I can let off the clutch completely. I can be at a steep angle and if I here that sound, I can dump the cluch and not roll back an inch.

Try that little trick.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 06:03 PM
zukiman

The sandpaper sound isn't just when the bronze pucks start to grab....it's when they just barely start to touch their opposing surface; even before you can start to feel through the pedal when the clutch grabbing. But you're right, the sound does give you a clue as to when you can let the parking brake off and start driving up the hill. Although I usually try to avoid dumping the clutch; that's the quickest way to break stuff.

The little trick I love to use when starting on a steep incline is to use the Pork Barrel Engineering brake line lock kit I have. With all 4 brakes locked, I let the clutch grip hard enough to torque the Samurai's body over to the side. Then I just flip the switch and start smoothly rolling up the hill. See, if I just went by the sandpaper sound coming from the clutch, I'd roll backwards as soon as I let the brakes off before I let the clutch pedal up more. Maybe your clutch and mine make the sandpaper noise at different points in their takeup.

-- Geoff Beasley

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 12:34 AM
Old Hand

My $99 NAPA clutch with a Warranty, has proven more reliable than the Petroworks clutch that I USE to have before it wore out in only 1 year. Total waste of $$. Just my experience so don't flame me

-Ryan
'88 Sami. Moderately modified. Two track mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode