RockyRoad coilover - any opinions?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

RockyRoad coilover - any opinions??

May I have your attention please :-)

I've noticed that Glenn (Rocky Road) has a special - $1250 - on his full coilover suspension kit. I was wondering if anyone on this list has bought and used it, or at least seen it in action??? Would you please share your experience as for the ease of installation, kit "completness", components quality and finish, ride quality on/off highway, abuse resistance, etc, etc.
The price seem to be not too bad, providing that the kit really performs as expected, thus those questions.

Tq

-marker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 10:04 AM

Re: RockyRoad coilover - any opinions??

I have not ridden or installed or owned the kit. A few observasion though if i might contribute to the banter. The coil over suspension looks incredible, but i think those pictures at glenns site have a dana44 under the rig? If it was not a matter of $$ i think that is one of the top suspensions for crawling and driving home after your done wheeling for the day. I bet on road its as sweet as can be, generally coil overs are fantastic. Installation is a weld on and that is a good thing, but it depends on your welding skills.....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:23 AM

<html><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">That's Mike Shaffer's rockcrawling monster on Glenn's site, and it does have dana 44's on it. You can read up on it here. I think it's unlikely (tho I'm not sure) that the suspension on that rig is one sold by RRO. Mike has been using that rig in Rockcrawling championships for a lot longer than Glenn has been selling the coil conversion. But that really doesn't matter. Mike Shaffer has a radical, non-road-worthy rig that holds it own against the best in the 4X4 world, and he runs a coil conversion. The coil conversion offers the best of both worlds: fantastic on-road comfort, un-godly off-road articulation. I think the coil conversion is worth your time, but I would rather fab my own than pay 1300 for someone else to do it for me (plus my wife would kill me in my sleep if I spent that much dough on the zook at one time!). My 2 cents.</body></html>

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

Well, As it is NOT the same coil setup....Mike has developed the "kit" using different springs and slightly different links for stock axles. this kit of Mike's IS the one on Glenns site.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:37 AM

uhhhhh, ok! I guess my suspicions proved true. Cool! I had no idea that Mike had designed the kit that RRO sells. Makes perfect sense, now that I think about it.

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw quite a bit of video on the "Assasin" on 4x4TV.The setup worked VERY well,but the front locating arms look like they could be bashed pretty easily.Hope they are extra strong tube!

Bluecrawler.......1988Sami,Spoa,1.5springs,33s,loc kers,5.13gears,etc,etc
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

Don't worry about that. The ones on there are 1 1/2" .120 wall DOM tubing. I've seen them hit stuff and they just act like rock rails!.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:57 PM
Buckyo7

Yea I think they would be GREAT!!! TOO BAD IT WOULD TAKE CLOSE TO A YEAR TO GET THEM!!!!

BUCK YOU!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Bill4rest wrote:
>>The ones on there are 1 1/2" .120 wall DOM tubing.

Actually it says on RRO page (quote):
"links are made from 1.50, .350 wall DOM tubing 35"long with Currie Johnny joints..."
0.120 wouldn't be too_too strong of a tube (or maybee it's just me :-), I think.
Of course, "bigger IS better", just like Sammy's, right?

BTW, what are the Currie Johny joints??? Would that be some kind of Heavy_Duty heim joints from the Currie brothers??? Would explain the name, I guess...

Tq guys, I appreciate your input.

-marker
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 01:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

OOP! My bad. I was going off memory. Johnny joints are a rebuildable kind'a heim joint....kind'a Below

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode