Consumers Report - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Consumers Report

Thought I'd start a new thread regarding the CU testing of the Montero, and with that in mind:
Regarding the CU report on the Samurai. I saw a replay on the national news last night of the Sami test. Did they use a hardtop in all of their testing? Wouldn't a hardtop tend to roll much easier than a softtop, since the center of gravity would be raised with the extra weight of the hardtop? This is the first filmed version of the test that I'd seen, and I assumed that the testing was done on a softtop. However, when I saw the test on tv, it was a hardtop.
BTW, I think that most of the crap they put in that rag is bogus. Most of it is strictly subjective and of their opinion. Since I work in an engineering environment, I know first hand about manipulating test data to make it either favorable or unfavorable. CU are experts in this field. My .02.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction-always
90 Samurai-Under construction-always
97 Suzuki Sidekick Sport-Wife's ride
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Consumers Report

I have a hard top and the body sits over 2 ft form the ground, with no anti sway bar and it is sloid as a rock around corners. in fact most people that ride with me are scared that it is going to tip. After a few corner they are amazed on the ride and handling.

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.
http://www.geocities.com/zuk_tonka/zuk.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

agreed completely man, dont know how low my floor boards is, id guess close to 2 feet too, but when i crank my 9000s up on stiff n hit the roads, only a select few folks will actually ride with me. steady as a rock. hit the curves, its simply amazing.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 03:24 PM
zukiman

From the factory, the hardtop is rated at about 40lbs more than a softtop. All of that weight is up high, so yes the Hardtop has a slightly higher center of gravity, but not enough to make a difference.

My frame and body are sitting over 12 inches higher than stock, yet with my wide wheels and tires I'm 14 inches wider than stock. And I've added a lot of weight down low with beefy axle housings, skidplates everwhere, and 450lbs of wheels and tires. That's why I've been able to tip my Samurai over well beyond the stock's 46 degrees without flopping it over onto its side.

Passengers who are used to low and wide vehicles are oftentimes somewhat scared riding in my Samurai on the road. I think what scares them most is the body lean on corners, even when I have the front sway bar installed. But what's cool is that no matter how far it leans, it doesn't want to roll. My Samurai has been my daily driver since 1994 and it's never given me any problems!

-- Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode