SJ 410 questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

SJ 410 questions

Ive talked myself out of the tacoma and into the sj. That is unles my questions lead to answers i didnt want to hear. Anyways, here are my questions.

1.) Will a 1600 16v fit. It looks like the motor sits back further in the sj than in my '90 samurai.

2.)The sj has a 4spd. Which 5spd should i use. One from 88.5-94 samurai or one from a tracker/sidekick.

3.)Will the stock SJ axles and t-case stand up to the power of the 1600. They look alot smaller than the ones on my '90.

4.)The BIG question is-If the 1600 16v fits will i be able to cruise 70-75mph in 5th without having to downshift to 4th. I plan on runnin 215's on it. Its not gonna be a trail rig but a daily driver. I know the downshifting thing makes me sound stupid but i love the tacoma because i can cruise 80 in 5th and never have to downshift.

Thanks in advance.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:27 AM

Re: SJ 410 questions

the motor mounts are the same as the sami just in a different location, you can grind em off and reweld them in the same spots as the sami, then the 1600 would fit using the adapter kit and a sami 5 spd. The only other thing that you would have to do is make up a tranny mount. As far as strength, they would probably be ok with the 215's, the sj's also run 4.10's in the pumpkins and combined with the low geared sj t-case I don't think you have to worry about down shifting, should have plenty of power from the 1600

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:29 AM

Re: SJ 410 questions

Hey Will,

I went through this dilemna a while back but decided that the rust deamons had just gotten too far with my 410 to justify a buildup. I bought a Samurai and I'm using parts from an 84 SJ410 to do my buildup.

Here's what I took away from the experience as best I can answer.

1.) Yes, you can do the 16v swap but it's work. If you want the EFI you'll need a new wiring harness. I recommend a Samurai wiring harness mated to a Tracker/Sidekick harness. I'd contact Brent at Trail Tough and talk to him about this. You'll also need new motor mounts. Can you weld?

2.)Use a Samurai transmission and get the adaptor for the engine and tranny combo from Trail Tough. The 88.5s and up have a taller 5th for better highwayability so look for one of them. The 4spd will NOT work with a 1.6 swap.

3.) The T-case is priceless. It's what's referred to as a Mini rocklobster. It'll work fine with the setup your going with. The axles should be tossed for a set of Samurai axles or better yet Toyota axles. Some people like the narrow axles but I understand that they are a bit weaker than the Samurai axles and you're putting in a LOT more HP than that 410 engine ever had and the axles were ever made for.

4.) Yes, your Sami will kick butt with the 16v. You should be able to cruise the highway nicely once it's all done.

The SJ410 has some cool stuff that the Samis don't, starting with the grill. People love it! Mine's waiting to be put on my rig. There's also a fold down windshield which is an added plus. The T-case as stated is coveted by many (myself included). As well as better gearing, it has the emergency brake on the back of the case instead of the rear axle. You can add rear disk brakes later if you want!! The springs are also further inboard than on a Samurai which will be a little more work to modify but will give you MUCH better articulation in the end.

My words aren't etched in stone and I don't have a lot of experience modifying my rig yet but I did some homework before I started and this is what I came up with. I hope it helps.

Give it to me; I'll break it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

Re: SJ 410 tranny tunnel

If you go with the 16V I'd go with a TracKick tranny. You are probably going to have to modify the tranny tunnel to get a Sam tranny to fit anyway so why not do the Trackick tranny and add some beef at the same time.

I have _heard_ that the tranny tunnel on an SJ-410 is smaller. The Sam tranny _might_ fit. If you are going to replace the driveline anyway go with the bigger parts (and no tranny adapter - the TracKick tranny can be bought for less than an adapter).

c.
--
http://root.moose.ca/~chris

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: SJ 410 tranny tunnel

How hard is the tranny mount to make. How hard is it to change the motor mounts. I cant weld but i know people that can. Maybe billy bob can help me do this thing since hes close by. I got the $$$ to get it and im fixin to go pick it up. I gata go get it now or im gonna change my mind.

It definitaley needs a new motor cuz the blow by is so extreme that as soon as you loosen the oil fill cap it blows the cap out of your hand. It might only need rings but if im gonna do it im gonna use a 16v.

Anybody have any other things that i need to consider.

Thanks in advance.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode