sidekick diffs on a zuk - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

sidekick diffs on a zuk

What are the pros/cons of taking a rear sidekick diff with 5.12's and adding SPOA to its housing
and a zuk front diff and sidekick 5.12 R&P?

I do not know if the sidekick is a 5 on 5 1/2, or others problems that may exist.

TIA

lonezuk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: sidekick diffs on a zuk

you are talking about the hole 3rd member right (not trying to be smart a$$ just checking!)

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:53 PM

If you chop of the ends of the tracker axle and weld on the suzuki ones, thats a stronger axle and you dont have to modify the backlash. Cons? Cons? i cant think of any if you can do that kind of fabrication. Max

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey lonezuk, i think i understand what your sayin. you can use the whole rear tracker diff, but you will have to convert it to leaf spring since they are coil originally, being that its got a centered pig gear where a sammy has a offset pig gear, the drive shaft will run at a angle. rekon you can run a yota d-shaft n take care of that. no reason not to, many folks are doin it with yota axles. as far as the front third member, well, i use the tracker/kick 3rd member in my rig. havent ""EVER"" had any probs based on the aluminum member. but i am open diff too.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I was thinking about using the entire rear diff from a sidekick in a samurai.

I thought that if the unit was stronger and it came with the gear combination that
I was looking for then then maybe it could be done.

I would everything off the tubes and weld on SPOA pads, use the sidekick rear drive shaft.

I looked at some TJ's and their drive shafts have a very radical deflection.

As mentioned by billy bob, I would use the alum sidekick front in my front and leave it open.

If the front broke then I would use the zuk 3rd in its housing.

With this setup I would be 100% zuk/sidekick and replacement parts could be easly located
on a trip in any junk/you-pull yard.

How does this sound ? Its still up in the air !!!!!

Lonezuk

87ht 2-1/2 lift, dual miks, grs1,tube bumpers can walk but needs to crawl. Cannot follow its brother a FJ40
in the rough.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:07 PM
Pooh-Bah

Being done as you speak ;-) I just put my rear Kick axle under tonight, I have to pick up different perches though the ones I got I dont like, well, I like them, but just not for the kick rear. The Kick rear is 53" backing plate to backing plate compared to the sami 48" so what I'm doing is I have 2" backspace wheels for the front and 4" for the rear, so I'll be 1/2" off each side. Only problem with what I see you saying though is for your driveshaft. The Sidekick rear driveshaft as a slipyoke that goes into the back of the transfer, its not on the shaft itself, so you will have to find a replacement driveshaft. Tommorrow I am going to have my Yota shaft shortened either 2 or 3.5 inches to fit depending on which hole I use in the perches I get. The Sidekick rear also has a larger axle tube.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:16 AM

Is the pinion flange on the Kick the same as the Sammy? I need a driveshaft spacer of my Tracker and want to know if a sammy one would fit?

93 Tracker, ProComp, Calmini, 31's, Thorley, K&N, etc...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:55 AM
Pooh-Bah

Get a large flange spacer

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mike Shannon runs a complete Sidekick Rear in his samurai. He can tell ya what it takes to do it.

88sami,GRS2,5.12gears,SR front,3/4 elliptic rear Chevy PS, 33x15.50 Swampers, custom body damage by me.
Hey, Jeeps do taste like Chicken!!!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 04:54 PM
mike shannon

i run a side kick rear with a yota drive shaft. the yota shaft bolts up to the sidkick flanges[mine is a non c/v style out of the front of a late model tacoma] but needs to be shortened. i put a sidekick rear flange on the output of the t case if i remember right i had to machine off the tracker rear flange about .200 of a inch. i never had mike balanced but i still run it down the interstate. the emergency brakes hang down to low for me so i just pulled the cables out and was planning on a disc on the t case. so there is my 2 cents later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode