OT/Tow Truck-What do you think? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT/Tow Truck-What do you think?

I dont know much about these,so thanks for the input.It is a 1994 FORD F-450 SUPER DUTY.IT HAS A 7.3 DIESEL WITH 198,000 miles on it,oil pressure at idle is 15lbs and at speed its 55 lbs.It has a new 5 speed transmission and new diff.5:13 gears.At 60 it runs about 1700 RPM.It has a 10.6 foot new bed,new rear tires,they are asking $8650.oo or $8150.00 cash.It was used as a delivery truck-interstate miles.Thanks for the help,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 10:03 PM

Re: OT/Tow Truck-What do you think?

All i know is i hear the newer fords get great gas milage if they are diesals. I think it sounds like a great rig, but i dont know about the price. I have good truck connections, let me check with them, they can tell you everything you need to know and what is a good price. Can you wait till monday? Max

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 10:12 PM

RR, the oil pressure sounds on par with our 86 F350/ 6.9/ 240,000 miles. To me the price is might be a little high, but we are in different areas. There are a few guys in the Hotshot business here with 7.3's that are at the 300- 400k range, claim little to no major problems with it. One guy down here claims 750 k on his f-350 truck, no overhaul. Sounds like a good Zuk hauler.
I loaded my 87' up on the back of my Dodge Cummins 1ton/11' bed and was hooked upto a 35' Travel trailer when we left out a couple yrs ago when a hurricane was coming in. Got some funny looks going down the highway!!
One other thing, what size tires are they? 16's arent bad $$ but the newer f-450's are running the 19.5 lo pro's....lot money come tire time.

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 10:24 PM
Loweguy

Hey RR...considering how new the truck is, that's probably not too bad. It is only 7 years old...and that truck was probably 40k new!

I too am a super believer in the Diesel Fords. With that said, however, the mileage would still bother me. I would rather spend $20k for a nice, much lower mileage used truck that put $8,000 into one with nearly 200,000.

He might be lucky enough to sell it to you...but who is going to buy it once it's over 200k? I guess in the final analysis-if you're going to keep the truck forever and it feels right-buy it. If there is the possibility that you're going to want to sell it any time soon, either buy an older lower mileage truck or a newer one and spend more $$$

Good luck.

Michael O
-01 Nissan Frontier
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse
-90 Suzuki Swift 4-door
-83 Mercury Zephyr Z7 sport coupe
'Sometimes you're the pigeon, Sometimes you're the statue'
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

THANKS MAX,I CAN WAIT,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

SLOWPOKE,the tires are 16" and they just installed new 5spd trans-5;13 rear end and 4 new rear tires.This will haul my zuke and be my backup truck,thanksRR

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

loweguy,i was out of work 10 months last year due to auto accident,so I am trying to trade my 96 4x4 s-10 to him for the truck.I dont want to get in to car payments for a while til I build up the nest egg a little more.Thanks for the input,RR

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 09:39 AM
mike shannon

it should pull decent with the 5.13s but it still has only about 300 to 350 fpt. i would recomend that you shop around for a cummins.i can get a 3/4 ton ext cab with 140k from the original owner for about 6k. i just sold my 93 with 210k on it for 6500. if you can sell your s10 i would recommed a trip to texas and we can pick you up a tow rig that has never seen any salt for some fair money. to check out some texas prices punch in my zip code 76020 at autotrader.com. and if you think you like the idea you are welcome to stay at my place till we dig you up a rig. i am just shooting this idea at you. later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 11:03 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Pre-Power Stroke?

I had heard they were dogs to run, and that the Cummins and PS had a lot better power and were more reliable.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 01:02 PM
mike shannon

power stroks came out in 94. you could get a 7.3 diesel[nondirect injection],7.3 turbo [nondirect injection],7.3 power stroke[direct injection] the power stroke is way ahead of the 7.3 in hp and torque. but it is more expensive to buy parts for by a long run and is not as reliable. the cumming wins hands down in the long run for durablity. but the early model cummins is limited to 2300/2500rpm and it is better in the 5 speed. the auto are all right but the power stroke auto will drive nicer. but once they changed the pump on the cummins in 94 it has a lot more potential. it spins up higher and put out much more fpt. i know where a 85 with a cam plate is that puts out about 650fpt is for 8500.00 with a 140k on it but it is a regular cab truck. if some of you can't tell i am sold on the cummins. they last for ever and you can hop them up to 900fpt for unded 2k. and when it comes to mpg there is no comparison. i have driven many of both and find that the cummins has always come out on top. another 2 cents worth later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode