You'll never believe what I bought now... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 05:58 PM
Loweguy

You\'ll never believe what I bought now...

Okay, okay..I know, I like a variety of cars. With that said...

I have been looking for an el-cheapo commuter car to carry me to work. Basically, outrageous fuel economy and great legroom were my only concerns...style is of little importance.

Armed with those criteria, I've been watching the local trader. Thursday at 7am it is updated. Every Thursday morning is the equivalent of Christmas at my house, as I soooo look forward to seeing what I can STEAL each week.

Anyway, I saw an ad for a 1990 Suzuki Swift 4-door with 27,000 miles. I called the owner and after a brief chat I decided to go look at it. I got there to find a VERY clean little car, with a super straight body, slick gray paint, and a near perfect (some dirtiness but no tears) interior.

I drove it and it drove fine. I am very familiar with it's 1.3L 4-cylinder as it is similar to what lives under the hood to my Samurai.

Anyway, the long story short is that the car had belonged to an elderly man who towed it behind his motorhome. He had donated it to the American Cancer Society.

The fellow who now has it showed me all of the paperwork...all of which reflected the same 26,xxx mileage.

I made a deal and went back to my office (I DO need to work to pay for all of this!). I ran the car on carfax to reveal is has closer to 120k miles rather than 27k. I thought about my drive, the overall feel and appearance of the car, and I called the seller.

I sincerely think he didn't know. I asked him a variety of questions and found that he seemed very surprised, too. Given the physical condition of the car, I am prone to believe him.

Anyway, given the circumstances, and my feeling that he really wasn't trying to lie about the mileage, we made a new deal reflective of the increased mileage (he is making me provide a copy of the carfax I ran when I pick it up).

Whew...anyway...the car is a 1.3 4-cylinder 4-door with no a/c and no options. It ran quite strong considering the tiny displacement.

Can anybody recommend a website or two I can look at for parts for this car? I may try to upgrade wheels/tires (and tint the windows with it's no-a/c having self), and I would be curious to see what is out there. My biggest issue is high fuel economy, so I'm not looking to make it a race car.

Thoughts?????

Michael O
-01 Nissan Frontier
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse
-88 Samurai
'Sometimes you're the pigeon, Sometimes you're the statue'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 06:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: You\'ll never believe what I bought now...

Mike, Watch the tint. I don't know how they are up in your town but a couple of my surrounding towns PD's are busters when it comes to the Ct tint law. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:03 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Some good parts sources are

http://www.copartfinder.com
http://www.car-part.com

Congrats on the find!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:26 PM
Loweguy

Yep, Mark...I already haunt those sites frequently! They are AWESOME!

Actually, I'm looking for aftermarket sites. The Zuki NEEDS not a thing. I did find out it shares a bolt pattern with the MUCH more popular Honda Accord, so I'm thinking maybe some 14" Honda steel takeoff wheels with some 185/60/14s might improve the handling a bit.

Michael O
-01 Nissan Frontier
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse
-90 Suzuki Swift 4-door
-83 Mercury Zephyr Z7 sport coupe
'Sometimes you're the pigeon, Sometimes you're the statue'
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 09:31 PM
I Do This For The Glory

You should go and see Max, right around the corner from his house there is "Little Cuba", where everything is lowered. There are a few stores nearby that sell those 17" rims and the 1" tall tires to fit them, it'd corner like it's on rails then.

Just a thought.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No a/c eh!! where do you live again cause I know here you florida you couldnt survive no matter soft-top or what (well sort-of but definitely nothing compared to california!)

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 07:05 AM
ronin

check out http://www.ssgti.com It is for Swift GT/GTis but you might can use some of the information there concerning tire fitment and upgrades. There is a lot of info on there about exactly what size tires and wheels fit and what mods are needed to run various sizes. There are some really nice modified Swifts there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 08:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think Calmini has parts for the swift.
Engine type hop ups..

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 08:59 AM

Michael,
Probably the reason for the mileage is that Suzuki's roll up the miles, even when being towed. The '90 Sami I just bought had spent most of it's life behind a motorhome. It was showing 32K on the odometer, and the owner told me it was 132K. However, it was like new on the inside, with just a few rock chips on the hood and windshield. Those are usually dead giveaways that it had been used as a toad. The pedals were like new, showing very little wear, that's why it didn't bother me with the mileage.
There are a lot of Suzuki's out there being used as toads behind motorhomes, and they are usually well taken care of by the owners.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction-always
90 Samurai-Under construction-always
97 Suzuki Sidekick Sport-Wife's ride
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 10:07 AM
ronin

Just as a comparison...check out the new Swifts in Japan! 4wd and all!! They look nice...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode