4.16 tr case gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

4.16 tr case gears

ok guys, almost time to do the tcase gears thing...
to those who have done it before... where did you order your gears from? how hard were they really to install? how were the instructions included with the gears? are any special tools needed?

im really trying to decide between calmini and RRO right here... i dont want to hear anything about one peice being experimental, or any crap like that. both sets of gears have warrantees, and neither is going to break. what i am looking for is good service and the like, which i know i can get from calmini, but im not so sure about the instructions they will send out. putting my bumper and lift kit was pretty self explanatory (thankfully, because the instructions basically said "remove old, install new, tighten bolts")... i know glen has good instructions, but are they worth the extra 40 bucks, and the possible extra amount of time i would have to wait to get them?

not meaning to start a war here, but this is a very big hang up for me because ive never done gears before, and there is alot that can go wrong.

thanks for any input

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
2" S/R 30x9.50 M/T's
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:05 AM
ronin

Re: 4.16 tr case gears

I went with RRO. They should be arriving any day now (The gears, not RRO[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). I decided on them because I have always gotten good service and assistance with them and am very happy with my lift kit I bought from there. I also liked the fact that they insure their gears for life.

As for tools, the most important thing I noticed in the factory service manual was the three bearing "presses". I ordered a set from my local Zook dealer, but only one came in. The other two are on back order. Other than that, looks like everything else can be handled with just regular hand tools.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:25 AM

Steve,

You may be surprised at how easy the tcase gear install goes, once you get over the inital fear of splitting the case in two (Make Sure you remove that speedometer bullet!!) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just pay careful attention to how it comes apart, and you won't have any trouble.

I would recommend the H-pattern shifter from Petroworks, as well if you have a front locker.
HTH,

OILBURNER [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

From what I was told, Calmini has new instructions that are clear and easy to understand.

I have installed a few Calmini gears and have nothing but good luck and easy installation. All the parts, other that the Calmini counter gear, are SGP.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:58 AM
Skip

T case gears are easy to install. I bought mine ( GRS II ) from Petroworks, excellent service and very detailed instructions with good pictures. I've also ordered from RRO with the same excellent results. Check out Trail Tough also. I've had excellent service from them.
One thing to remember when ordering parts, either mail or over the counter, do they have them in stock? When will they ship? If not in stock, when will they be? If you ask these questions you will be a much happier customer because you and the vendor now have a level of expectation.

Skip
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

"SGP" - super good product?

im hoping that this is something that only takes an afternoon - correct?
and im also thinking that while i have the tcase, i might as well install soem kind of new mounting system... if nothing else, the poly mounts that glenn sells. i do really like his whole system though. what do ya'll think?

Steve
'88 Suzuki Samurai
2" S/R 30x9.50 M/T's
[email protected]
Texas A&M Off-Road
FTAC of 2003
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I GOT MINE FROM TRAIL TOUGH AND INSTALLATION WENT EASY , THOUGH THE INSTRUCTIONS MUST BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A GOOD MANUAL. NO PROBLEMS IN LAST 2 YEARS WITH GEARS ... I LOVE EM. TECH SUPPORT WAS GREAT. YOU NEED LARGE SOCKETS TO REMOVE THE FLANGES, AND I JUST TOOK MY GEARS TO A LOCAL SHOP TO HAVE EM PRESSED ON. IT ONLY TOOK 5 MINUTES AND 20 DOLLARS. WHICHEVER GEARS YOU GET, IT'LL BE THE BEST MODIFIVATION YOU HAVE MADE TO YOUR ZOOK. NOTE* IT TOOK ME A WHOLE DAY WRESTLING STUBBORN PARTS OFF.

86 JX SAMMY WITH SPOA + ADDITIONAL 3" DROP BRACKETS AND MISSINLINKS FRONT REAR TOY SPRINGS WITH CUSTOM DROP LINK, LOCK -RITED, 33" SUPER SWAMPER TSL'S, FULL CAGE!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

SGP = Suzuki Genuine Parts (OEM)

T-case goes real quick with air tools. Hardest part is getting the crimped nuts off the flanges. Make sure you take the crimp out all the way or it's damn near impossible to do it with hand tools. We use a cut-off tool and grind the crimp out and use new nuts for reassembly.

As for mounting system, Spidertrax has the set up for 20 buck and they ship fast. As for t-case arms, the have a new stainless steel set coming out that attaches to the front of the t-case so the e-brake (410 or Spidertrax) works.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard that stuff about those crimped flange bolts before but a 2 foot breaker bar and a socket spun mine right off.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 84 cj7 Laredo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Superior 1 piece, more to come.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-410266-blackeye.jpg[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:14 AM
WSB

Steve,

I've got the Calmini 1 piece T-case gearset. The gears have been good to me so
far. Nothing too installing them. You'll need basic hand tools, a press, oh
lets see that should cover the tools.

The directions weren't too bad, like someone here on this post said before
Calmini now has a new clearer set of directions. It did take two months to get
the gears becuase they were on backorder. But they were well worth the wait.

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode