I like my weber...is that wrong?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like my weber...is that wrong??

O.K. now I know that I might get a little flak for this but I actually like the weber carb I bought. I first tried a Pony but I must be lacking a bit in my rebuild skills because I could not get the darned thing to run right. Anyways after five months of trying to figure out where I had gone wrong I decided to just buy a weber. Booo, Hissss... I know webers suck, but one of the deciding factors was riding shotgun in my brothers weber equipped zuki. He did really well on just about everything. The only problem with stalling came when we were coming down the last part of the trail (he has it mounted backwards) and that was only when we were at a stand still. If we were moving it wasn't a problem at all. The weber I installed does really make a big difference in performance. It accelerates better, Idles smooth, and I don't have to keep my foot on the floor on the freeway. I would recommend it to those who only do some wheeling every month or so and drive them more as a daily driver. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you do alot of hardcore wheeling as the downhill stall might start to annoy you. Overall I am very pleased with it, not to bag on other carbs. I blame my problems with the Pony mainly on my lack of knowledge. By the way I've got a Pony carb ( with all the rebuild stuff already in it) and a stock carb for sale/trade. Buyer beware, both gave me problems but if you're smarter than me you might be able to get them to work for you.

No worries. Life is Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I like my weber...is that wrong??

Hey I like my Weber, it is a good carb. I have not mounted mine backwards yet so it will stall going up a hill if you let the RPM's drop down. As long as you keep the RPM's above 2000 it is great, but I did find a problem with it, when I went up Dewoody at Barnwell it tried to stall on me, but Dewoody has extreme angles. All in all it is a good carb, but I can't wait until I get those Mikuni side drafts.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey no sweat whatever works.. You might want to try a pressure regulator for the downhill stumble. I have a weber in a box in the garage, I just like the reliability of the pony I have that I wouldn't think of swapping at this point.
(But this is for the hardcore rig..) The way I have the pony set I think it would run upside down.. Of course If the
wiring harness on the truck wasn't FUBAR then I wouldn't have gone to the Pony Either.. Go figure..

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was going to convert to a weber from EFI and sell the EFI and get my money back until I found out I had a TBI model

P.S. Did yall even know there was a TBI model cause I sure as heck didnt???!!

" Go Cheap n' Smooth or Forget about it!"

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 02:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

Different people's opinions are going to vary according to how they use their rig. I loved the Weber carb that I had on the Zuk I sold recently. It had much better acceleration than my stock carbed or my fuel injected Zuk. I planned on swapping it onto my stock carbed '88.5 before I sold the '87, but he wanted to pay extra for it with the Weber. I never had any stalling problems, but I run the river bottoms and woods instead of rock crawling.

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 03:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

Stud, the only EFI that came on Samurais in the US was TBI. The Sidekicks and Trackers had multipoint fuel injection on the 16 valve engines.

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 03:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Studly....
I believe EFI is a generalized term for Electronic Fuel Injection. It covers both MPFI (Multi Port Fuel Injection) and TBI (Throttle Body Injection). The Sami's (90 and up)only came with TBI.
That's just my opinion...I could be wrong....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 03:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I really like my Weber as well! Although mine sometimes has a mind of it's own (stemming from broken homes (2 previous owners), I'm starting to understand how it functions and undo what previous owners did. It suits my needs just fine as my daily driver/workhorse. Heaps of power (comparitively) and easy to work on.
It might be a marriage made in heaven... a needy Weber and my obsessive tinkering.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 03:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: I like my weber

You are not alone! I have a weber installed backwards to avoid stalling problems. Works great after I got the float adjusted. I'm getting 23 mpg even with 33's.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 03:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey, don't let the whole EFI thing sweep you away. I have a 94 and it stalls . It might have something to do with my reluctance to use the gas pedal. But I'd rather stall than start to bunny hope with 33's and stock axles.

And she doesn't always start up so easy. But that is probably due to the aging head than the EFI.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode