Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Northern Catskill Mountains, NY
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IF you\'re thinking of driving in NY...
Basic Rules For Driving In New York...
1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real New York driver never uses them.
2. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation will fill in the space.
3. Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane-change is considered going with the flow.
4. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.
5. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will inevitably result in you being rear-ended. If you want your insurance company to pay for a new rear bumper, come to a complete stop at all stop signs.
6. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange construction barrels.
7. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork. New York is a no-fault insurance state and the other guy doesn't have anything to lose.
8. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.
9. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to scare people entering the highway.
10. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable in the New York area during rush hour.
11. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a New York driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.
12. Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush-hour traffic in New York.
13. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire.
14. It is traditional in New York to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes to green.
15. Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left before proceeding.
16. Remember that the goal of every New York driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.
17. Real New York women drivers can put on pantyhose and apply eye makeup at 80 mile per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
18. Real New York men drivers can remove their girlfriend's
unmentionables at 80 mile per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
19. In the New York area flipping someone the bird is considered a Big Apple salute. This gesture should always be returned.
20. In New York we all eat very well without counting calories as we all drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
Just thought I share the rule book with out.
It might be a crazy state to drive in, BUT THERE ARE NO LIFT LAWS![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]