The Bolt-on SPOA is finally here! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The Bolt-on SPOA is finally here!

Calmini has released the 6" bolt-on SPOA kit. Go to http://www.puresuzuki.com/bolt-on_spoa.htm

It seems this kit has just about everything in one box to run 33" tires. It comes with four new spings designed to reduce axle wrap, and includes the Calmini steering linkage (which costs $270 if bought seperately) to address the bumpsteer and drag link angles. New shocks, hoses, perches, shackles, spacers. Geez, seems like a lot of stuff.

And the $995 list price seems pretty mush inline with other weld-on kits. Infact, it's cheaper than many.

Just thought I'd let you all know it's out there. Of course, I'm now donning my flame-proof suit. I expect to be assulted about this post.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 10:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: The Bolt-on SPOA is finally here!

In my opinion if they offered kits in different levels instead of an all or nothing package it would be more appealing to most potential customers. It simply has too many expensive components included that may not be needed or desired. (Calmini springs, Calmini shocks, Calmini steering linkage, etc) Someone would have to be starting at square one to need ALL of that stuff for a spring over conversion.

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 10:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I wonder if they will sell the axle perches sepratley... It seems that the major cost goes to the springs and the steering bar. Granted that would be a sweet PROFESSIONAL setup, but I droped about 250 into my spoa setup. The pads were about 70, 100 z bar and 30 in the brake lines, and about 30 in the shocks. Yes it seems if you want a real lift with some great performance, go with the pro kits. Its just too much for me though.. I also have the satisfaction of building my own stuff (like the front and rear lower shock mounts). Short on funds and all the time in the world! That kit sure looks complete to me. Anyone out there running that?

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The different level thing has me confused. Rancho, Trailmaster, Skyjacker, ProComp and the rest offer their kits as a all-or-nothing. Why would you expect Calmini to do so differently? There is no money to be made piece-mealing things IMHO.

Let's be frank. As for costs, most of the Zook owners are beyond cheap. Those folks who want to build stuff themselves or seach around to find even cheaper shocks are not the kind of folks Calmini markets to. There are those people who want everything in one box and then there are those who really don't care about the money thing. Those are the folks Calmini markets their products to. That is where the money is.

All in all, for those folks would didn't WELD a suspension system, who are just now deciding on which suspension to go with or those (many) who don't have access to a cheap or free welder, than this kit seems to be geared for them.

Likewise, this is kit that doesn't limit future suspension choices. One could install and use this lift for a couple of years and then move on to something like a coily or 1/4 eliptic. Simple bolt-on/off. AND they could sell off the kit and recoup the some of the cost. The same can not be said for the weld-on SPOAs.

Just my opinion.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 03:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I think for the money I'd buy the YJ SPOA for only $910 and get some springs for free at a 4x4 shop! Its bolt on also. But as far as spoa cost, I'd get the RRO SPOA kit for only $565! They also have a bolt on as most of us know, its only $495! I'm not flaming Calmini or RRO or any other vinder but if I didn't know much about suspension I'd get the RRO bolt on or the YJ system for the better ride and flex! I made my own for less then $100, I think the spring pearch cost me $7 to make! I haven't had a problem in over 3ys running my own system! The only thing I have is the RRO rear up front kit! Calmini has a good idea, I'm sure they will sale a few, but I think its too much!

-Brian
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We can stick everything in a single box too for fitting 33" tires with lifted 1.5-2" springs and SPOA kit.

And we haven't been misleading people for years by telling them how "dangerous" SPOA kits are. DOH! :^)

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 05:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

Send me two of the kits and a side order of tater tots.

[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Sorry Glenn, I have to call you on this.

Calmini called SPOA kits "cruel hoaxes" and used to use a "No SPOA" logo. They never published anything saying that a SPOA was dangerous. They have since abandoned that ad campaign.

Now as for Rocky Road being misleading, they have published biased, undocumented claims to the "unsafe" and "dangerous" characteristics of the "bolt-on" shackle reversal, all the while selling bolt-on shackle reversals for the CJ, a similarily sized short-wheel based vehicle.

Exsqueeze me, but who is doing the misleading?

So if you can stick "everything" in a box like new springs and shocks and steering correction and offer it for less than $995? Why wouldn't you do that instead of making your customers find out on their own what else they needed to buy?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1000 SMACKERS man I wonder who they think is going to afford that!?!

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You don't have to 'publish' comments to make them real. For years our customers have been telling us that Calmini has told them SPOAs are dangerous.

I've said it a thousand times before, but apparently must say it once again. We sell shackle reversals. We feel they are not safe for highway use and so recommend them for offroad use only. We do this with the Samurai and the Jeep shackle reversals.

We don't change our views on what is safe and what isn't safe, and essentially SELL-OUT our beliefs by how much money we can make off of something..... like other companies might do.

The day we advertise our shackle reverse kits as a great on highway modification with no adsverse handling affects, you can throw it all over my face. Until then.... please correctly identify the "sell-out" in this industry :^)

Anyway, its good to see that someone followed our leadership by introducing another bolton SPOA to the market.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode