Trail Tough Roll Cage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Trail Tough Roll Cage

Well folks after many many hours of prying, drilling, welding, banging ZOOMY and I finally shoehorned in a Trail Tough roll cage into my ZUK this weekend. Looks pretty damm good I must say. I only got the front section, cause the back end would be easy to make. Overall the front section is pretty well thought out, however I would say that the cost is steep for 20ft of metal.

If anyone plans on doing one than plan on doing some shoehorning. We ended up cutting 1/2" out of the stock roll bar to allow the new bar to attach correctly and allow the targa bar to go on, the doors to close and the winshield to stay in place.

I will post pictures when I get them developed.

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 01:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Trail Tough Roll Cage

I am hear to say that there was no banging ZOOMY whatsoever! Shouldn't there be a coma between the word banging and ZOOMY! Nothing like a Freudian slip there lav25! Do you have something to tell us here on the BBS?!?!

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Actually ZOOMY with those baggy pants of yours, your industrial arts teacher shoes, and your plumbers crack, it was difficult at the most to keep clear of you, and the fact that you are a married and broken man I had to control myself.....

Now get your mind out of the gutter.

Lav25

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 01:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

Well geez, you certainly know how to charm a guy! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 01:54 PM

You two should get a room...

Glad to see your home, Jason. What's up with the "Big Dogs" event coming up? Is there a link to a site I can check out? I'm trying to get the lil' missus' to let me go away for the weekend; it'd be nice to make it the same weekend as this event...

Pauly

Give it to me; I'll break it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

back to actual roll cages....got a picture?

86 4Runner 31" 5-spd ...and it's white!
http://www.webimr.com/rdohn2/
Phoenix, AZ

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Computer guy with no digital camera, I will have the developed pics scanned up soon.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 02:26 PM
Can't Get Enough

I should have brought my digital camera but forgot. Lav25 took plenty of pictures with his 35mm so they will have to wait.

The biggest problem with the installation was that with the stock roll bar at it's regular height. We could not ge tthe targa bar back on or shut the doors. Even with trying different angles and all we were about an inch short. Our solution was to lower the main roll bar about 3/4" to bring it down slightly. After the decision was made it only took five minutes on the chop saw and the cage was back in place to be tack welded. Good measures were taken to get good penatration on the butt welds where the cage was lowered. Once this was done it all came together really smooth. Even with taking 3/4" out of the cage the targa bar was a tight fit. The doors shut and everything else fit good.

The rollcage turned out really nice, however I think the price for these kits is unreal. The tubing at the very most should cost $2.00 a foot (Chassis Shop sells it for $1.44 if you buy a 100' min.) and there was about twenty foot of tubing. It should not take someone that long to make the bends and notch six ends. I think $120-150 would be a more reasonable price for this kit. Chassis Shop sells 6-point roll cages for $164 and Competition Engineering sells 10-point cages for $239. Both of these prices are for full size automobiles. A weld-in full cage for a Samurai should not cost more than $200 unless it was a direct bolt on cage like the Petroworks cage.

Tim Martin
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went to the local race car shop .They installed a front section to my factory bar for $150.00.Only took them 1/2 of a day too.

Bluecrawler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode