findin da light! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

findin da light!

O.K. I have talked with yall about gears almost longer than Bill c. lied to us but, there has to be some drawback. I see all of these rigs with 35's and have seen people run there engines bone-stock! Even with proper gearing wouldn't this kind of set-up still be locally slow!?!

P.S. I just have not found the light on gears, I just wonder if these people have as nice of a ride on the streets???!!!!

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/header/cherry bomb exhaust/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: findin da light!

I'm running 33" tires,5.13 gears,4.16 t-case.I can take off from a dead stop in 5th gear in low range and can go 70-75mph on the highway.I guess if you ran 5.43 gears,35" tires,the results would be about the same.except maybe for the weight factor. I almost forgot,my engine is stock except for Calmini camshaft.

Bluecrawler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 10:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

RRO has a gear set that can fix your rig for 33's or even 35's! Not a bad deal for the R&P's and t-case gears! I have 16x35 Boggers and can run on the freeway at 60MPH TOPS!

-Brian
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2001, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

But what gearing do you use zuk jr.? You must not do a lot of highway traveling huh? How does your set-up perform on the city streets?

P.S. It is so neat how gears really do all that much!?!

Thanx
Studly
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 09:19 AM

I run 5.43's and a 4.16 t-case. For rockcrawling it is great. But for hilling climbing? Let's just say the jury is still out on this one. Oh yeah, I run 33" tires. On the highway I don't like it. First and second are to low. In fifth gear at 65 mph I am running around 5300 rpms the engine is screaming. I think my top end is around 75mph. It would probably work better is I went to 35's

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WOAH! I was piddling around with the gearing spreasheets and that is about the perfect set-up for 35's. But I do not need lower gears cause I live in jax. florida and I have no rocks around here and dang sure cant use rockcrawler gears to crawl!
So you must crawl real good huh? But I dont want to go to a tire that is going to make my rig feel weak and helpless over but I geusse if you use the right gearing!

Thanx
Studly
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 05:23 PM

I used to run 32's with the stock 3.73s with 4.16 t-case. I was a semi-dog on the hi-way. Hardly ever saw 5th gear. In low range it did well in mud and hill climbing. It was a little geared high for rock crawling. The 4.16 t-case will lower your hi-range I beleive 12%. I am not sure about the GRS2.
I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but you could buy the 4.16 gears and install them yourself for around 500.00. That is a hell of alot cheaper than mine was six years ago.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you saying that it is 300(for the gears)+500(to install them myself!) because if that is true than I will just buy the gears already in the t/case for 795 from rro!

Thanx
Studly
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 08:00 PM

No, The gear sets are around that much. Check RRO, Petroworks, Calmini or all the others. They are all about the same. I am personally fond of Petroworks.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have noticed that that each company has certain things cheaper and certain things more expensive! RRO sells there kit for $350!

Thanx
Studly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode