Welded diffs!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 04:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welded diffs!!

Is it true that a welded rear differential will ride $**ty on sharp turns? Somebody told me that when you take a sharp turn the inside wheel of the turn will be locked with the other wheel and you will get a HOPPING sensation! and they also said it tears the hell out of your front end!

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/1.6(soon)/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 05:52 PM

Re: Welded diffs!!

had mine weled a couple of months now and i take some curves that the speed limit sign says 45 at 65 and no problem every once in a while you will here a cherp but thats it no hoppinig not no where he gets that at

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 06:00 PM
zukiman

All three things you were told are false.

A welded rear diff drives very, very nicely on the road. On the highway, you would swear it's an open diff. Only around town in tight turning maneuvers can you tell that you're "dragging" the inside rear tire as it spins faster than the ground moving beneath it.

There is no hopping sensation at all. It drives as smooth as silk. An automatic locker (Lock Right, EZ Locker) can create a "hopping" or lurching mid-turn if you are abrupt with getting on the gas without smoothly slipping the clutch. This causes a rapid lock-unlock-lock-unlock cycling of the locker from the natural "slop" in the driveline. It can only be stopped by turning straight or rolling to a stop. But a welded diff will never do that.

And lastly, I don't know what your friend meant by "tearing the hell out of the front end" but it doesn't do anything of the sort. The only thing I can think of that he meant was that the tires get worn out faster. The only other negative factor with a welded rear diff is the slight reduction in turning radius. Other than that, I absolutely loved my welded rear diff. The reason I went back to a locker is because my tires were wearing out too quickly due to my Samurai being my daily driver. I still wish I had the welded diff, but I can't afford to wear out these expensive Swampers.

One thing that I will highly recommend against is a welded front diff. You will never be able to get your Samurai to turn when the hubs are locked in. You'll also be just asking to break the Birfield joints. But if your Samurai doesn't see a whole lot of in-town driving (you stick to the highways and trails) then by all means, go for a welded diff! If I ever get another vehicle to use as a daily driver, I'm putting a welded rear diff back into my Samurai.

-- Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 06:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do yall think it is gonna be pricy if I get a pofesional to do it??

Thanx
Studly
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue> Pull the rear carrier yourself and take it to someone local to weld it. If they charge over $20 forget it, go somewhere else.

wes.</font color=blue>

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...?u=1596164&f=0
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The rear carrier huh? Well I really dont know how to get that out though! what if I took the diffreential cover off?

Thanx
Studly
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 08:59 PM
Buckyo7

i think thats all you do and just pull it out im not sure but i will find out?? I dont know exactly but i will find out tomorrow!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you buckyo7! damn I sure am glad to hear that cause other-wise I would have had to have a good old round of Guesse and pull!!

Thanx
Studly
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 10:10 PM
Buckyo7

HEHEHEHE the only hard part from what i hear is putting it back in!!!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue> I think you might want to get a manual to do it. It's not hard but I am under the impression that you are new to this. There is no diff cover to pull for you to get a look. You need to pull the axles to pull the third member out to get a look at the carrier.

wes.</font color=blue>

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...?u=1596164&f=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode