post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 03:54 PM
Buckyo7

Re: ? Spool ?

what are you talking about
??

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 04:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

No, the only spools for the Samurai are welded ones. Sometimes called the Lincoln Locker. I will be welding my rear diff up when I replace my ring and pinion. There are also other ways of performing the same mod. Some pour molten aluminum or lead to achieve the same effect. Some people swear that this is a better way of making a spool and that welding weakens the rear diff. I disagree. VW aluminum spools are $400 a pop so being a tight wad I went the cheap route on my VW transaxle (transmission and rear end combined) and welded my rear diff. I crank out between 300-400hp through the rear end with 9" slicks and launch at 6000RPM constantly. I have broke axles in the past and then I switched to billet axles. Since then I have not broke any axles and four years later still have yet to break a welded spool.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just dont weld the front! I have heard that is a really bad idea! I am about to go to the off-road place that is right down the road from me and get them to weld the rear!

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/1.6(soon)/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

Yeah, 10-point U-turns kind of suck, not to mention the Popeye forearms too! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I already have front and rear lockers; I just wanted a spool for the rear. I am getting tired of the rear Lockright disengaging, but I don't want to weld it or pour anything in it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 12:50 AM

If you want to see spools and mini-spools available for Samurai's try E-mailing Auburn gear and request that they manufacture
them. If they think a big enough market exists they might go for it.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode