hmmmmm - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmmmm

i want to camo my samurai, but havent decided on which yet desert? jungle? urban? real tree? but more importantly,i was thinking of stripping off the factory flares fixing all rust spots which is very little, but was curious has anyone ever just did their own rig inside and out with rhinoliner or herculies or whatever, seems to me it would prevert any future rusting,my rig is no trailer queen its a funtional trail rig, so a fancy paint job and such dont matter much, but i do think that a camo print over a rhino'd body would look good??????? anyone done what im thinking?

87 samurai convertable
4 inches of lift
225 75 r15
2 inch exhaust catless
removable doors
coming soon:
lowrange cam
snorkel
on board air

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 11:57 PM

Re: hmmmmm

Did mine inside and out in Durabak. I used Forest green and black, mixed some black into the green to darken it up some. Here is and old pic right after I did it.
http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...5-Mvc-122f.jpg
I do like it and would do it again.
Do a search for LOCO, he did his too and has some better pics in a past post.

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 12:01 AM

LOCO's- http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...0&Old=allposts

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 06:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey, you pretty well convinced me, your rig looks great, the flares on the convertable doesnt look stock???
but do look like a major improvment over factory!!!! also what is a good rust inhibater??????

87 samurai convertable
4 inches of lift
225 75 r15
2 inch exhaust catless
removable doors
coming soon:
lowrange cam
snorkel
on board air

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 07:05 AM

Thanks, the flare's are off the rear of a Jeep wrangler. POR_15 is suppose to be a good rust inhibitor.
Any imperfections in the body will be covered up by the bed liner. The Bed liner will fill ANY bolt holes left open, so be sure to put an old bolt in any holes you dont want plugged.

92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Slowpoke and LOCO, in your opinions, would you say that the Durabak will seal the vehicle's body and prevent moisture from reaching the metal, thus preventing rust? This is my main concern. It does look real good though, and I imagine you really wouldn't have to worry about tree branches on the trail. How many cans of Durabak required for a complete body inside and out? One final question, did either of you also Durabak the underside of your trucks?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 07:37 PM

I do think the Durabak does a good job of sealing the body, as far as scratches from trees ....aint gonna happen. I think you would dent the metal or gouge into the metal before you were able put a scratch into the Durabak. I run alot on the beach here in South Texas , rust prevention is a big concern for me too. I do believe this stuff will do the trick. I did not do the underside of the Zuk, need to do it though.This stuff is pretty tough, when I pulled the mounting points that the drivers seat bolts too out, this was after the Durabck was on,( the 3 pieces that are spot welded to the floor board). Once the spot welds were cut out the mounts still would not come out because the Durabak, had to take a knife and cut/trim the Durabak to get it out. I used roughly 2.5 gallons as I remember to do the body inside and out. That was putting 2 coats on, used the roller Durabak supplies for mainly the outside body panels and a brush mainly on the inside. Goes on pretty thick.

92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds great Slowpoke. Is there any special prep work involved before you apply it? Does the body have to be down to bare metal?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 08:04 PM

I used a wire wheel to remove any surface rust I had, took those area's down to the metal. Covered those area's with OSPHO. Then used 40 grit to roughen up the paint inside and out. Cleaned the truck with Xylene per Durabak instructions. Let it dry, then applied the Durabak. Stuff dries pretty quick, seems like it was ready for the 2nd coat within an hour.

couple tips:
Between coats you can stick the paint rollers/brushes in the freezer, istead of cleaning them.
Be SURE to wear old clothes and rubber gloves when applying this stuff. I had green stuff on my hands for about a week.
I tried hand cleaners- regular and pumice/ thinners/hair spray/gas/xylene nothing cut this stuff........ except brown sugar!!!
No lie it was the only thing that took it off. Otherwise I might still have green on my hands ..LOL

92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the great tips. I gotta ask - how in the world did you discover the brown sugar tip?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode