Performance clutch question.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Performance clutch question..

Here's one for you guys that have one of these, Centerforce
or petroworks new Hi-pro clutch. I don't want any 2nd hand
observations either. Just the skinny on them first hand.
If I shell out 200.00 and I smoke one in the rocks I won't be too happy to say the least. So any observations like if you are able to slip them some, The type of wheeling you do and set-up you run. Thanks

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 03:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Performance clutch question..

Well, I guess I qualify as first hand. I've got the PW dual-composition clutch and I like it. So far, so good. Basically it combines the benefits of the organic facing on the flywheel side and the feramic pucks on the pressure plate (or that may be the other way around).

In any case, the side that you'll be slipping is organic, which responds better to that. The pucks are on the other side so when you fully disengage, it grabs like a Centerforce.

Centerforce clutches are great, and I have one in my Karmann Ghia, but the are primarily a street clutch IMHO. Not meant to slip. I do know that if you slip a puck clutch a lot, it will glaze and be worth nothing.

But what does all of this mean to you? You're a wee bit on the tight side so go buy two Sachs HD's and keep one as a spare.

Otherwise, if yer gonna buy a hi-po model, get the PW.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 04:48 PM

I run a dual friction centerforce and I agree that it's a better street clutch. Has no slip just grab and go. I got it because I was burning out stock clutches too fast, if I had known about the petroworks one that's the one I would have got.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well Geeze Tim Ya didn't tell me that! Do you think the PW would hold up for me? I plan on being hard on it until I either get a dual tranny Or something like it. ANd you know my driving style. I had to do what the trails riders call a splatter to get out of Pick your poison, (Back up and gun it and bounch off a small rock to get on the steps to get out... That was becuase the clutch faded out on me.)
I had heard the same thing about the Centerforce, that they don't slip well. Well I am closer to making up my mind. (Or I will just sell a Kidney and buy a Klune -V!)

Glenn
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 10:22 PM

You dirty dog! going top dollar are ya? I thought it was a lifetime autozone thing? Just not lifetime enough huh? I know Geoff B. has a petro clutch in, and i read his write up on it, very favorable. I also want to let you know, i work this saturday, but from then on out, its us all day long in fabrication for the badlands. We are gonna represent the east coast nicely i think. Im going to try to bring the samuri over tommorrow if i can. Will be there on monday as well.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 11:32 PM
Old Hand

Well, actually i HAD a PW performance clutch till it basically fell apart after less than 1 year. I was only running 30" tires 1/2 of the time and I am not hard on clutches I only smelled it burning 2 times actually. I now run a cheap NAPA clutch, and it has a warranty. I have been very happy with it thus far. (7 months)

-Ryan
'88 Sami. locked, Warned, lifted, geared. Two track mind
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Zukesrule- Do you have any gearing correction? Did you have the flywheel reserfaced when you put it in? Thanks for the input, this is what I am looking for. My clutch is a lifetime warrenty, I am only thinking
of swapping if the Pw one is that much better. (I kind of think ANY clutch would have warmed up in the conditions I was in on sunday.)

Glenn
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 10:00 AM
Can't Get Enough

WW,
I have a Centerforce DF, I do mostly crawling and it does just fine. To be honest..... after using "other" cluches I can't see myself getting another one.

Bill Forrest!!............Off-Road Champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I thought the new Petroworks unit was brandy new this year?
Was there an older unit that the new one replaced? I think I will have to call them.

Glenn
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been running CFdual friction for 1 year now. so far so good,only had it slip once.adjusted my cable slightly,no problem since.I was changing out "lifetime warranty" clutchs about once every 6 months before that.88 Sami 33"tires,5.13gears,4.16tcase,lockers.

Bluecrawler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode