Batteries - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 09:49 AM
ronin

Batteries

I am thinking about replacing the battery in my Samurai. I want to eventually run a winch and I doubt the battery it has now would survive for very long with that kind of load. I was looking at the Optima batteries. Anybody run one or have experiences with them?

On a similar note, does anybody make a dual battery tray for Samruais?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 10:21 AM
MRLoneWolfe

Re: Batteries

With a little fabrication you can install a battery tray on the opposite side with out any problems-Just a thought!

88 Sam I AM(AKA-THROTTLE MONGER)- 1.3+.030,cam,462gears,locked,5in Calmini,2"body
31-10.50's.Yankee-offroad-Hood latches,Bumpers,Rails and armour,Tracker seats.................ECT.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

I like them.I just about changed the fleet over to them.Put one in the suki,chevy P/U(going to be 2 when I get the battery box and cables out of a diesel),2 in the camper and have one on my jump start cart

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This might save you a few bucks,Interstate makes optima batteries so if you go to a interstate dealer and tell him what you are looking for he can give you the equivalent interstate battery which should save you some bucks.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Calmini makes a bolt in dual bat tray,my Optima red top has never failed me.

Bluecrawler
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've bought several Optimas over the years. Always thought I was happy with them. I don't have any now though. Looking back, they were the shortest lived batteries I have ever bought. I actually just run 1100 CCA batteries from my local auto parts store. No-name brand. They are working great for the weinching I've had to do and so far seem to be lasting longer than the Optimas which were twice the cost.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have run Optima batteris for about 4 years and have had good luck with them.
ROB

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 11:38 PM
Old Hand

How many CCA's are necessary to run a winch and other accessories? I keep killing my battery (600 cranking amps I think) even with a Delco alternator.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. locked, Warned, lifted, geared. Two track mind
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran an RV/Marine diehardin my FJ40's with a Warn 8274 and KC lites. Never ran out of battery unless something else was wrong, like perhaps wrapping a loop of winch cable around the fairlead. That is another story. Personally I think that focusing on the CCA and other specifications is fine, but I am interested in what happens if you kill that sucker dead. A deep cycle battery will come back while a potentially more powerful battery will be damaged by a deep discharge.

If you really don't want to abuse your battery, don't wheel with jeeps. That seemed to be really hard on my winch.

Just my $.02, and of course I am kidding. Really. No, Really.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode