homemade Z bar (please help) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

homemade Z bar (please help)

hey guys i'm new here so hello to all. I just bought my fourth samurai, it is totally stock right now but i will be welding on breeze purches this weekend and i was wondering how many of you have made your own z bars and do you just heat up and bend the stock one or use thicker rod

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 03:34 PM

Re: homemade Z bar (please help)

I made my own Z bar, do not heat the stock one and bend it..
What i did is take a length of thick walled, seamless hydaulic tubing, bent it in a pipe bender, and this is how i obtained the drop
Next, i cut up my stock bar, So the the peices fit in the hydraulic tubing, up to the bends.. I ajusted it so its the same length as the stock bar. Then i tacked it, double checked everything, and welded it all around.
Next, using a torch, i cut from 1/4" plate trusses that go on the bends... I welded them in.. Thats about it.. Also make sure you put in some plug welds.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 04:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

welcome to our lil family man!!!
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 06:56 PM

GLAD TO HAVE YA KRIS

88 zuki,s/r,header,1600,locked in the rear and weber carb. with mitsu seats and 2"inch pipe
87 zuk spoa (new project)
IF GOD IS YOUR CO-PILOT SWAP SEATS
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 07:12 PM

I could make you a Z link for 55 dollars US if you send me your stock drag bar. It will need to be straight in order for it to work.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 06:33 AM

the guy i bought my sammy from made his own, or at least thats what he told me. Looks pretty good. take a look and see if you get any ideas...

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-433752-z-droplink2.jpg (61.7 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 08:24 AM

Anton has it right. That's exactly how I made mine. Only I would add that it really serves to box the whole damn thing. I just bent mine last weekend and it bent in the one place that I thought didn't need boxing. Now I know better.

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 09:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey, I made my own out of 1" SOLID steel! Took the tourch to it, and bended it. took me about 15min to make! Then I welded the stock tierod ends to the 1" solid steel and I was done! I've made three of these and have yet to bend or brake one! I guess I could support it where the bends are. Here is a pic of the z-bar that I made. I'm going to the steel shop today to make another one and I have to send my old one to one of the guys on this board! Hope the pic helps! If you need one made, I could do it for the cost of the steel! It cost me around $15 to make the whole thing! Later

-Brian
<font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bent mine with a torch and gussetted with 1/4 plate, but i used a 3/4 heavy wall pipe, sch 80, trimmed the old rod to it fit snugged in the pipe. I made mine with just only a spoa in mind, one add-a-leaf and 1 inch longer shackles. I could use another z bar, but it works for now. good luck and welcome aboard

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 11:30 AM

Ppillard, the tubing i use has quite a thick wall, and wit the stock steering arm inside of it (tight fit), it wont bend. No one i know has ever bent one of this kind, while i see other types bend all the time. The stock peices of the arm run inside the new thick walled tubing, right to the end where the joint is, this makes it really thick and wont bend. becuase i cant put it inside where the bends are, i make sure my 1/4" trusses run along the new tube till it meets where the stock bar ends (inside the tube).. 50 bucks is really cheap compared to the $120 the vendors want. E-mail or private message me if your interested. [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode