3.73 and grs 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 05:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

3.73 and grs 2

I've given up trying to run the tracker/sidekick front diff.cant keep the little pinion gears from tearing up,I want to run the stock gears.My question is with 3.73,and 36" super swampers will the grs 1 or 2 work?I pull a small trailer with my 4 wheeler and soon my arena truck will my sammy have enough to get out of its on way?What if I installed the 4.16 gear set in the t-case,then removed the bearing to give me the 2wd low how will my t-case hold up over the long haul?Does anybody else run a set up like this?I want to set up something thats going to last,I tired of tearing things up because their not strong.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 06:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 3.73 and grs 2

You can run the 5.12's without too much trouble if you know a good machinist. I had the carrier flange turned off giving me a drilled spacer of 5mm. Then had the carrier turned down to 104mm and a 12mm high by 2.5mm thick step heat shrunk onto the carrier to locate the crown wheel. After all of this you only have to set your pinion height and adjust backlash. If you do all of this you wont have trouble with chewing out pinions.

86 LWB 3" Body &suspension, 5.12 gears, Locked F&B
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 06:49 AM

Why dont you just use the Sidekick gears with you old Samurai Diff?

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,Pony Carb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 07:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats what I was going to do but looking at the size and strength of the stock r&p over the wimpy tracker r&p and having torn up every tracker r&p I've owned,I'm afraid of spending 1000.00 to set them both up in the sammy housing properly only for them to be less than stock strength.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 07:06 AM

Yea I see what you mean, But the Samurai Diff should be stronger because it has 4 spider gears wile the sidekick has 2, Are you using a SideKick third member?

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,Pony Carb...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 07:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your gearing will be totally weak with stock gears. Have you looked into aftermarket gears? Not sure why you're having probs with the Suzuki gears, but the USGears we carry have proven to be very reliable and easy to set up. Price is quite a bit less than new Suzuki gears too.
http://www.rocky-road.com/zukdrive.html

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 07:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its not the stock suzuki gears that I'm having trouble with its the weak smaller gears of the tracker/sidekick front diff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode