Sidedraft carb questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Sidedraft carb questions

Who here runs Mikuni sidedraft carbs? Is there any worry about getting water sucked in to them during deep water fording? I just got a used set and I'm wondering how well they work offroad.

Also, are these relatively easy to install? Mine (I don't actually have them in hand yet, they're in the mail) come with an install manual but any hands on advice would be nice too.

I still have that 1.6L, 16V. Sidekick for a swap project but I just thought I'd see what I can build out of the 1.3 before I yank it. Who knows, it might be enough for me and I'll put up the 16V for sale....

Thanks!
Pauly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sidedraft carb questions

I used to run the Mikunis..... and I blew an engine fording a creek with them too. They are VERY exposed in deep water crossings. My solution was a custom built filter box plumbed to a snorkel.

Be careful, If the front of your hood goes under, your sidedraft carbs will take water in. Then... boom goes the engine.

http:// www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 04:34 PM
Can't Get Enough

Pauly - I sent you an email. From looking at my carbs the throats are the same height as the exhaust ports on the other side of the engine. They are completely below the height of the valve cover. Not very high if you ask me. An upright Weber carb throat would sit 6-8" higher than the Mikunis. Think about the position of the Mikunis too. They are a straight shot to the valves and water could rush in them really fast. I am in the process of building a plenum box for my Mikunis right now. I already talked to Glenn from RRO about the plenum box he used. Glenn, if you still have yours and want to sell it, send me an email.

As it stands right now, until I get a snorkel, water crossings and my Samurai don't mix. I'll gladly learn from Glenn's mistake and not risk grenading my engine too.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEY CAP'N,
RRO WHERE SAYING THEY HAVE A SNORKEL SYSTEM FOR THE DUAL MIKUNIS CAUSE I THINK GLENN WAKEFIELD HAD A 1.6'ER AND DUAL MIKUNIS WITH A SNORKEL?????

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/1.6(soon)/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 12:28 AM
Can't Get Enough

Does anyone know a place to buy venturis and jets for these carbs? I would like to buy a rebuild kit too so I will have it years down the road. I tried Mikuni with no results. They said they do not manufactuer these carbs any longer.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We bought our new jets and venturis direct from Mikuni in SoCal.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 11:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

Glenn, do you have a telephone number for them?

Tim Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode