Ujoint replacement and driveshaft spacer. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ujoint replacement and driveshaft spacer.

Evening all. After lots of banging, a little bleading, some fileing here & there, some very hard wrenching, and some learning I have gotten my rear u joints off the driveshaft. SHWEEEW! These things are a pain in the a## if you don't know what you're doing.. I think the secret is to take those damn rubber dust boots off before the removal. I noticed something on the very last bearing removal; if you must twist the small piece (whatever the smaller section is called) so you can remove the thing easily. If you try to pull the thing while the joint is crooked or not tourqued (I'll have a pic) it is very hard to remove and will prob. dent the metal..

The upper joint on the rear driveshaft had one leg that was very rusty. Grease was optional in that one, I guess the seal broke or something. I bought some 10.00 greaseable joints from discount auto. The install process starts in the morning. I'm thinking on buying a vice to aid in the install process, just sorta press it into submisson vs hammer the @#$#$ out of it (really hurts ears). I'll have some pictures tmmrow afternoon. I'll prob replace the ones up front too, it has a good case of the vibes..

I ordered some stuff from petroworks, the vent tube, shifter fix, and 2 driveshaft spacers. One 1" and one 3/4" (1" for the front). As yall know I've got a 5" spoa kit on the zook. I did rotate the rear axle to compensate for the driveshaft angles. I unbolted the lower rear joint and tried to insert the 3/4" spacer. I've got about 3/4" before max compression! I dunno about the front end, but it looks like I'll not be able to use a d/s spacer in the rear. Anyone run into this like me? I am hopeing to see some performance with the vent tube <G>.

later..

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 10:21 AM

Re: Ujoint replacement and driveshaft spacer.

thats what i running 3/4 spacers was all i was able to use too. as for the u jionts sounds like you worked up alot of wasted sweat next time use a blue wrench ! i had mine in and out in 45 minutes both of them.

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 10:24 AM

o one more thing if you ever try that make sure you keep a good watch on those caps i have seen them explode out of there like a bullet the grease inside makes them do that

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 10:52 AM

I know, thoes U-joints are such a pain.. Even if you do know what your doing. I did mine with a hammer, a peice of pipe, a pair of vice grips, plyers, and a socket. It took me a few hours

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A vice makes it very easy to replace u-joints on a Sami,or any thing else .I have RR 4.5" spoa ,1.5 springs,1"longer frt shackles,2"longer rear shackles.I run 3/4" spacer on the rear,but I did not rotate the pinion angle.

Bluecrawler
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WHoa, rotate teh rear axle? that help with the angle? sorry, but never heard of this. im gonna go with some yj springs here pretty soon, all ready got a guy nearby who has some. All i need is the "recepie" to make it safe. all the parts i will need and all that. thx

~Goot
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

when i changed out my rear u joint yesterday i broke a brand new #4 vise so your gonna need something a lil tougher
just thought i'd throw that in

87 samurai convertable
4 inches of lift
225 75 r15
2 inch exhaust catless
removable doors
coming soon:
lowrange cam
snorkel
on board air

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Check out the attached picture. You can see how the front end of the 3rd member in the rear has been raised up a little...

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
29x10.5x15 SS TSL *SX*, Calmini Header, SPOA, Lights, Dupicolor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-435532-rearfromunderside.jpg (51.8 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ask Anton about making wood spacers for ur driveshaft (lol) He said he made one but I dunno how well it worked yet....... [shocked)

SPEED KILLS BUT YA GET THERE FASTER

KTM 500
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 02:44 PM
zukiman

Hey Nowhere,

For how long have you had those shock boots on your driveshafts? I haven't been able to get more than about 300 miles out them on mine, they just explode from the high RPM's. They'd work fine on a trail-only vehicle, but at highway speeds I haven't been able to get one to last.

-- Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode