SPOA - UBOLT FLIP QUESTIONS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SPOA - UBOLT FLIP QUESTIONS

Just finished welding on the RRO SPOA pads - I was about to flip mount the spring plates on top of the leaf springs with the u-bolts upside down (the threads and nuts will point up instead of down) when I got an idea.

To keep the shock mounts on the underside of the axle instead of on top or for that matter welding new shock mounts on the axle, I have debated welding a centering pin on the stock spring plate and placing it back under the axle while using 2" square u-bolts that mount over top of the leaf springs and bolt beneath the axle. Has anyone else tried this approach?

There used to be a u-bolt flip kit offered by someone out there any ideas? Safety concerns?

I saw an old toyota four runner set up the same way SPOA with square u-bolts over the leaf springs etc...

Thanks in advance.
-Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:14 AM

Re: SPOA - UBOLT FLIP QUESTIONS

Bill,

I've seen the set-up you describe many times - just make sure you get the new u-bolts long enough. Only real drawback is that you'll have the plates + the ubolt ends hanging below the stock spring perches, losing some ground clearance.

HTH,

OILBURNER [email protected] 1988.5 Samurai, VW 1.9L Diesel,
GRS II, Toyota Axles w/ locked High-Pinion Diff's w/ 5.29's,
BFG 35's and more....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:16 AM

Toyota trucks use this setup in their stock SPOA. I perfer the u-bolts pointing up and the spring plates on top as it gives you more clearance, and if you smash your ubolt threads on the rocks, its going to be a big pain to get out. Shock mounts are easy enough to do anyway.
When you welded on your RRO pads, is there a gap between thre axle tube and the perch?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The RRO pads fit great there is a small gap between the pad and the axle housing. There was very little gap anywhere less than 1/16" maybe 1/32"? Anyways they fit great and as per the instructions I ran a weld along the top and sides of the pad. The front pads fit without grinding the old ubolt locating pads - again with very little gap. All pads seemed to line up perfectly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode