Waterproofin' the diffs via the snorkel pics... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Waterproofin\' the diffs via the snorkel pics...

Ok, I have gotten some requests from you guys for more info on my snorkel, and I have some pics here for ya of what's goin on under the hood. I'm not 100% finished, yet, but these should give you a good idea of what's goin' on. I have four pics for ya, which I'give to you in four posts. Mostly, this whole post consists of me waterproofin' my diffs by runnin' hoses from the diff breather caps to the snorkel. The first pic shows the rear diff with the breather hose comin' off the where the cap USED to be. I popped that cap of with a little crowbar (it took about two seconds to get off).

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-425586-reardiff.jpg (76.6 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Re: Waterproofin\' the diffs via the snorkel pics...

Here's a pic of the front diff...I know these aren't too exciting, but it show some noteworthy properties of the hose I used...

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-425587-frontdiff.jpg (90.6 KB, 8 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:47 PM

is that a big gap between the axle housing and the spring perch?!? I like how you did your rear shock mounts.. what kind of shocks are they?

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Under the hood! I ran the hoses into my snorkel simply by drilling a couple of holes in it, inserting the hose, and puttin' a thick layer of silicon around 'em. Note how my snorkel fits nicely around the air filter intake. Well, I gotta find a better way of keepin' it in place, as it has a tendency to vibrate out slightly and break the silicon seal... Also note that there should be hoses coming from the t-case and the tranny. Well, I bought 20' of hose, thinkin' that would be plenty, and I was sorely mistaken. That's OK, tho, as I decided to run the T-case and tranny hoses into the rear-diff hose via two t-connectors, saving me more holes (read "possible leaks") in my snorkel.

Pillard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-425594-underhood.jpg (91.5 KB, 10 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

And here's the last one that just barely shows a hose from outside the zook. I think I really just posted this one to show off my baby that I love so much ;^)!

Pillard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-425596-overall.jpg (81.1 KB, 9 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, actually it is! Those are RRO spring perches that wrap around and are welded to the original perch. The other side had a much smaller gap, and I put a small bead on it about a half inch long. I didn't wanna weld on the housing any more than I had to as I'd read so much about how weak they are... About the shocks: Those are actually the shocks from a Toyota pickup! They work really well! A zook friend of mine that I can't seem to get on this board tipped me off to it. They measure just over 15" compressed and over 25" expanded, and they only cost me $17 a piece. I do NOT, however, like the mount bar that you see in the pic. It rubs slightly on the exhaust, and it doesn't really allow the shocks to travel as much as they can. I did that mod as an expiriment a couple of weeks ago, and I knew I didn't like it after the first day. I have to go out to my dad's to use his torch/welder tho, before I can fix it right. This time, I'm gonna move the top eyes in till they are 3" center to center, and drop them another 3.5" as well. Then I should be able to get the most out of my buggy-leafs.

Pillard
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Where\'s the tranny breather cap...?

I found the t-case cap with no problems, but does anyone know where the transmission breather cap is? I know it's there somewhere. There is something that looks very similer to the breather caps right in front of the shifter, but it's not exactly alike the ones on the diffs and the t-case (those ones are identical to each other). Can anyone confirm the location of the transmission breather cap for me?

Pillard
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Where\'s the tranny breather cap...?

It's on the very top of the tranny. You'll need a 90* fitting.

I have a 2" body lift, which made accessing it and the plumbing of the breather much easier.

FWIW, you might want to upgrade to a U/V resistant reinforced air-hose in the future. Tygon hose is cheap and workble, but doesn't hold up to long term exposure to the sun. And yes, UV light will reach the underside.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: Where\'s the tranny breather cap...?

Does that tranny breather cap look just like the others? Or does it differ slightly? Is it that one I mentioned earlier that's right on top of the shifter...?

Pillard
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

On connecting your snorkel. A plumbing shop or Lowes will have a 2" rubber compression fitting with a stainless steel jacket around it. I has a hose clamp on each end. I would get one of those to connect to your filter inlet. I am planning on doint the snork also, thanks for the pics.

If I find a pic of one I'll post it for you.

It's not a JEEP, it's a JAAP,
86' SPOA,33x12.5, 2.5" body lift, ALWAYS work in progress.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode