Platinum vapour injection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Platinum vapour injection

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about installing PVI (see the link below) on my sammie - I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this? It costs £125 in the UK and it says it runs for 30,000 miles before replacement. Being a chemist I can see that it should work. I'm planning to install at the end of May so I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers, Scott.

http://www.pvitech.com/pvi/pvi-gasoline.html

The streets are quiet like a sleeping army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don\'t waste your money

The website says “increased power, better performance, a cleaner running engine with less oil contamination and mileage increases ranging from 15 to 30%, all while reducing harmful pollution” I fail to see how Noble metals such as platinum and palladium (that are inert) can increase power and provide better performance. It may clean up your emissions, but at the levels they are injecting it I fail to see the benefit, except to the manufactures wallet.

The Catalytic converter takes care of any emissions that would pollute the air. If your car will not pass emmisions get a new Cat! The warranty on a Cat before OBD2 was 50,000 miles (80,000 KM) or five years and now with OBD2 it is 80,000 miles (128,700 KM) or eight years. So the Cat will last you, so if it goes bad get a new one!

I just can't see spending good money on something like this. It's like those products at auto stores that say they will stop your engine leaks, stop trans leaks, or stop radiator leaks. Those products are just delaying the enviable and clogging up whatever you put them in. Eventually you need to fix that engine leak, fix your trans leak, and fix that radiator leak (or replace your cat). People will make anything to make a buck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Platinum vapour injection

if ya ask me, i say save your money for tuned up air intake, good gas milage, more power, and it looks cool under the hood too.

~Goot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 03:07 AM

Re: Platinum vapour injection

they did a test on a tv show about that, ran the vehicle on a dyno and did a bunch of other tests, said they found no difference from before they installed it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 05:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Don\'t waste your money

Red 26:

>>I fail to see how Noble metals such as platinum and >>palladium (that are inert) can increase power and provide >>better performance

They act as catalysts. A catalyst speeds up a chemical reaction and makes it more efficient because it modifies the reaction process by combining with the fuel to make it more reactive, but it doen't react itself. That's why only a tiny amount of catalyst is required.

Cat converters use exactly the same reation and contain only a tiny amount of Platinum. In this case the cat gets heated by the exhaust to a temperature at which the fuel "burns" because it is made more reactive by the platinum catalyst.

The advantage of using noble metals as catalysts is that they are unreactive so there is virtually no chance of them getting used up by "side reactions".

A catalyst doesn't react during the burn, it just sticks to fuel molecules and helps them burn, then when that molecule is gone it sticks to another and so on until all the fuel is burned.

I'm going to install it and see what happens, it has a 3 month money back gurantee which I will investigate thouroughly beforehand!

I'll post the results so everyone can see what happens.

Cheers, Scott.

The streets are quiet like a sleeping army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode