84 or 85 SJ410 t-case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

84 or 85 SJ410 t-case

Littlejackass (love that name!) was tellin' me that the t-case out of a old sj410 came stock with 4.16 gears. I was hopin' to get some more info on this. I understand that they're damn hard to find, but do all of those year models sport these gears? Is there any way to identify them as 4.16? Can I just swap it directly in place of my present t-case, or is a mod needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:39 PM

Re: 84 or 85 SJ410 t-case

NO the 84's and under are 12% lower than the 85's and up. Gears from some 84's can be used with gears from 85+ samurais to make a 4.16:1 transfer case. Be carful when searching for a older case, the 85's look very similar because they have the drum brake on the back.
You can bolt in any SJ 410 case into a samurai, but one thing you need to do is change all the driveshaft flanges on the drive shafts so they can connect to the older case..
One way to tell if it is an older case that you can make a 4.16:1 out of, if it has the 12% reduction, check and see if the nuts on the flanges are 24mm.. if they are you cant use it for the 4.16:1 case, they have to be the same size as the samurais.. Also if you do find one of these cases, and dont want to make a 4.16 out of it right away you can swap the flanges on the t-case, much easier than swapping the u-joint flanges..

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 05:51 PM

I have an 84 SJ410 transfercase which I'm presently installing on my 87 Sami. It's not a direct bolt in. But it's not all that difficult either.

First off, there's an emergency brake attatched to the back which I find VERY cool since I'm going to rear disc brakes (eventually). you don't need the rear brake drum and can remove it, but why? You'll need to adapt your present rear driveshaft by taking the flange off of the 410 driveshaft at the u-joint and mating it to the Samurai driveshaft. It's not difficult but you NEED the small section of the 410 driveshaft to make this work. People who haven't had an SJ410 driveshaft have modified the brake drum to accept a Sami flange but I've never seen this so I can't comment on it. Also the flanges on the rest of the T-case are different size so you'll need to pull the flanges off of your present Samurai T-case and swap them. Other than that the 410 T-case is identical to the Sami. The early ones don't have an plug for the "4WD" light on on the dashboard but this doesn't effect anything unless you NEED an idiot light. If you do, you can pull the front piece off of your present T-case and put it on the 410 case. Mine has the plug so I don't need to do this. The swap is not too hard - just time consuming.

If there's any interest for me to do a write-up on the swap I'll will. Maybe IZook would like to post it...

Yes, they are VERY difficult to find. In all my years I've only seen about 4 SJ410s which is a lot more than most people have seen. Perhaps you could find someone north of the border (Canada) who can locate one as they were imported into the Canada. They're also all over Europe...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 06:32 PM

hey Captn Crunch, i just finished installing my 83 t-case into my 87. Since i have a bunch of SJ410 parts it wasnt hard at all, as you said, time consuming, espicially when your taking out u-joints that are probably 12 years old with a hammer and vice grips.
Some things, the flanges from SJ drive shafts can be used on samurai u-joints and all but you need to use the SJ bearing caps becuause they havea little groove for the internal snap ring thing..
For the e-brake, i just let it be, and used a few zip ties to get the cable out of the way.
For mounting the case it self you need to use all the samurai mounting brackets, bushings etc.. There all bolt on.
Low range is quite sweet, even with 33's, i easily spin my mud tyres on gravel or concrete!

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 06:47 PM

I'm just changing the flange on the rear driveshaft at the drum brake. The other flanges are being changed on the t-case. I have a new e-brake cable so I'm hooking it up. Hopefully. I'll be able to get the rear conversion done within the next month if time and money permit.

Hopefully, everything will go easy with my swap.

Hey Anton,
I don't understand what you arte referring to by the nut being 24mm. Are you stating that the nuts on the 84 and earlier T-case will be the same size as the Sami and the nuts on the 85 T-case are different? I'm having some problems identifying this T-case as the title says 84 but the previous owner said it was an 85.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 07:04 PM

Wow is this little discussion bang on the money ! I really need to find a 1984 t-case I have 3 1985 Sammys and the date on the registrations start 08/84 and go up to early 1985 . Now someone has stated that all 1984 SJ410s and some early 1985 sj413s have this 12% lower t-case I also have a 1983 with the t-case out ( no light ) . Could the 08/84 sj413 have the 12% lower t-case ? what month of 1984 did Suzuki stop using them ? From what I've been told you put the t-case in 4H and turn your shafts one rotation and and you will see the input turn 1.6 turns compared to 1.3 turns of a Samurai t-case ? come on Guru's

Dedicated to the restoration and care of the North American Rhino
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:01 PM

Hey Captn Crunch,
What i mean by the 24mm nut is, on the older transfer cases, there is the input shaft, and 2 output shafts OK?
On the ends of these shafts, there is a flange, that is splined in the center.. so it slides on then there is a "nut" holding it on.. What i mean by the 24 Part, is you can remve the nut with a 24mm socket or wrench and the samurais ones are bigger, like 27 or somthing.

So if you have a SJ 410t-case and want to know if you can use it to make a 4:1, i find one easy way is to check to see if the nut is 24mm or not. If it IS, then the gears cannot be used to make the 4.16 case.

I can tell if it is the 12% lower or not just by turning it, but if you havent played with newer and older cases before it may be harder.

Another easy way to tell if its the "right" SJ 410 t-case (to make the 4.16 case) is to first make sure it has the 12% reduction, then look on the side of the t-case pointing to the gas tank, around the center of this side of the case, there is either a little 1" rod sticking out, or a 'bubble' in the case, this is becuase the 'good' 84 cases use the same type of bearings as the newer samurai cases.
The cases with the 'bubble' in the housing is a different kind of bearing, used in the older t-cases. Just becuase its an 84 case doesnt mean it is the right one, ive seen a few 84's and there not the right one.

Also, if its an 85 it WILL have the t-case mounted e-brake, bigger nuts that hold on the flanges, a shaft poking out of the housing, and the 4wd switch thing..

RHINOGEAR,
Check your t-cases in the samurais that are dated in 84, just incase, altho i have NEVER heard of a samurai of any year coming stock with the 12% lower t-case.
As i said above, just becuase its an 84 does not mean it has the special t-case, and im quite sure your Samurais (the ones dated 84 and 85) do not have the 12% reduction.

You cannot use your 1983 t-case gears to make a 4.16 case, it must be possible but would require lots of custom work.

-Anton

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If it doesn't have the 4WD switch it's and 82-83 and the gears CANNOT make a 4.16 case!!!
The case that is behind 85's WITH 1.0 L are the right ones also (read" RARE")

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok, I've got my SJ410 xfer on order. I should have it tomorrow. You say it gives a 12% reduction in the gearing.

Is that in all gears? (2H, 4H and 4L) I have a set of 31x10.5's on my rig and would love to use fifth gear again *LOL*.

'85 SuziSkip
Slowly building a beast.
"If it's too hard or you're a pussy, give me a go at it"
http://www.newflavour.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:28 PM

Yes thats in ALL the gears, high range, low range.. Where are you getting one and can you get me an 84 one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode