Rust, Flares, help? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rust, Flares, help?

Hi, been tryin' to read about the fender flare thing...I just took off my flares and metal mounting brackets
on my '88 sami. looks like I opened up Pandora's BOX... I guess i need ideas, there is alot of rust that was under the metal brackets, thinkin' of sand blasting then mounting larger flares? where do I get a larger flare that
covers up most of the fenders? thanks for your help...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 03:20 AM
4xRonin

Re: Rust, Flares, help?

Welcome Camperman, Calmini's flares cover a larger area I believe and rivet to the body panels. They are very expensive though. If the rust is too extensive check out the diamond plating at Wheelers Off Road. HTH

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i had the calmini flares on my truck, the ket word is HAD!! the first time i went wheeling with them i cracked one and the next time i broke 2 right off the body. my suggestion would be to save your money and get creative with a sawzall!

-Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 11:45 AM

Go with a set of wrangler flares, cheap easy to do, and are very flexible. They arent a perfect fit, but they will cover up you body fixes, and extend out far enough to keep the police at bay.

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-421518-Side_Finished.jpg (60.1 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 12:49 PM

Has anyone put rear TJ flares on a Samurai? If so, got a pic???

Thanks,
James Hiers

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:04 PM

I know what you mean.. My metal mounting brackets are totally rusted out, so what i did is mount them using little strips of sheet metal, screwed into good metal further into the fender, then mount the flares on thoes. I also have lawn edging, extending the flares. If you dont look underneith you wont even notice any rust or anything. its still strong too. sandblasiting would be a good idea, but make sure you put a good primer and lots of it) onthe bare metal, to prevent it rusting more..
Ill get some pix of what i did soon, went to get my film developed yesterday so itll be a few days. I also got pix ofmy zuk flexing [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm working on it, hope to have write up and pics by end of the month ... or sooner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
I have the flares and am in the process of removing the old metal edging. I'm only doing the back flares. If I like it, then I may go ahead and do the front flares too, but they'll require a little custom, crafty cutting.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 09:45 AM
Can't Get Enough

I found this page from Miles Oliver with his Wrangler flares...
http://www.mmoliver.org and follow the links: Samurai: Wrangler flares. (actual address is: http://www.mmoliver.org/suzuki/wranglerflares.htm, but it doesn't want to link properly.) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
...still working on my TJ flares. Got one on! looks great. I'm working on getting pics to post soon.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:08 PM

I've had Samurai's with no rust on them at all and within a few months had some creeping up from behind the plastic flairs ! I found the best thing to do is first clean the metal where all the spot welds are and then use a marker and circle all of them ! use a mini grinder on the spot welds instead of the spot weld drill bit ( it leaves a million little holes to weld ) If you take your time with the grinder you can go through the weld and flair only and not have a headache when you put the grinder down! Get some vise grips on it and slowly peel the metal back while your grinding this will expose the the welds better.When your done smooth out the melal lip and wire wheel any rust areas off, neutralize any remaining rust with some kind of rust killer . Cleanup with a little primer and touch up paint now your ready for the new flairs the cheapest best looking ones which are readily available are 4 rear CJ-5 flairs . The back two need no cutting at all and pop rivet right on the front need a little trim with a knife and your done .You can pick the flairs up from a wrecker for under $50 bucks and their round just like the stock Samurai ones,you can pop rivet them on from the back for a cleaner look or from the front .

Dedicated to the restoration and care of the North American Rhino
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 12:12 PM

The pic.

Dedicated to the restoration and care of the North American Rhino
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-429865-Flaidetail.jpg (63.8 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode