OT- TIRES - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT- TIRES

I was readin a 4 wheel drive magazine today. I believe it was petersons 4wheel and off road. It had a test of tires. They ran 4 or 5 different kinds on a cj8 thru a nasty mudpit. According to them the new Goodyear wrangler M/t did better than the swamper tsl. Does anybody have these tires. I was wondering how well the really do.

Thanks

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:58 PM

Re: OT- TIRES

I've got a set but have tried them yet

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a set of them in 33" they do really well in mud, but I dont know if they are any better than the Tsl's, I have never had the Tsl to compare them to. My buddy runs the Tsl and I can go where he goes. Hope this helps.

Rick

87 zuk, 1.6 VW Diesel, SPOA, Rear springs up front, CJ Springs in rear, Missing links all around, GRS 2, Detroits Front & Rear, 33"Goodyear MT/R, ARB bumper, Warn 8000, Breeze Crossover steering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey zukinut, back before christmas i wheeled with a buddy from ohio. he had just got a new set of the mtr's. they were really sweet in the mud up in livingston ky. i am thinking seriously of going that route when i have to do tires again. dont know how they do compared to tsl's though. no first hand experience on that comparison.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:06 PM
zukiman

Scott Gomez (ORC Suzuki section editor) and I went out on a mixed mud/snow trail in January with our tires at street pressure and aired down. He had new 32x11.50 Goodyear MT/R's and I had new 33x14.50 Swamper SSR's, and we were able to do a direct comparison.

Off-road, we were impressed with the traction of both tires. In the loose and sloppy stuff, my tires had a bit more bite, which in part can be attributed to the tires' 2 inches of additional height and 4 inches additional tread width. On harder-packed muddy dirt, we couldn't really get either set of tires to spin. Both do great in the snow because of their multiple biting edges, but when aired down the SSRs put a LOT more rubber onto the ground. The MT/R's have a stiff sidewall that gets pretty squirrelly when aired down. The wide SSR's can be aired down much further because of their width.

On-road, both tires drive amazingly well considering how aggressive their tread is. The SSRs are quieter and ride smoother, but they are heavier so they have a more noticeable effect on acceleration and braking than a set of 33-inch MT/R's do. The Goodyears will probably have a longer treadlife though, because the tread blocks are smaller and the rubber is a harder compound than the Swampers'. I have put about 7,000 miles on my SSR's and can hardly see any wear. They should last a long time.

You can't go wrong with either tire, and they are both similarly priced at the top of the pricing range. Only the SSR is available in the wide 14.50 size, which is why I would go with it rather than the Goodyear. As Pontiac says, "wider is better."

-- Geoff Beasley

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Pugrocker has them and I believe he's pretty happy with them. Good tire, lotsa folk on the ARCA are runnin' them. But that could be due to the corporate sponsorship.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Geoff, how wide a rim are you using with your SSRs? Also, do you know wether the SSRs are offered in a 35x14.5x15 size

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:40 PM
zukiman

Yes, the 35x14.50x15 size is available. Keep in mind, these 33x14.50's I have are about 34 inches tall, so they're as tall as the smaller 35's that are out there. Expect the 35x14.50's to be about 36 inches tall. Find what other sizes are available on Interco's web site: http://www.intercotire.com/super_swamper_ssr.htm

They are designed just for 15x12's (as opposed to a range of wheel sizes, like most tires) but I have mine mounted on 15x10 custom-backspaced wheels. I like the narrower rim because it holds the bead more firmly when aired way down, it protects the bead area of the tires and wheels off-road, and it pulls the side lugs off the road to reduce rolling friction and tread noise. I ran 15x8's with my old 33x12.50's, and that worked well. For more info on the wheels, here's my product review: http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/reviews/rrwheels.htm

-- Geoff Beasley

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:51 PM
zukiman

Oopsie sorry about that! I see now that Interco has updated their specifications since I first got my SSR's. They now say the 33x and 35x14.50x15's are good for 10-12-inch-wide wheels. The 10's work well on Samurai's.

-- Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode