post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fiberglass Hood?

Does anyone make one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 09:16 PM

Re: Fiberglass Hood?

This won't help you find a fiberglass hood. Just wanted to say that I would be afraid to own one. With as many dents, dings and scrapes as I've contributed to my trusty metal hood, I fear a fiberglass one would've cracked apart long ago...Just my two cents...

'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 09:29 PM
4xRonin

Tim at NCO should be out with his at any time now. Dents aside, rusted thru hoods are a real problem around here.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 09:31 PM

4xRonin:

Any hint on what those things will go for?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 09:45 PM
4xRonin

Not a clue as to the price. You will hve to ask Tim.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

we are thinking about producing complete body panels for zuks it just a matter if people are interested. Right now we are just producing hardtops.

www.cartops.com
Tell'em Hamish Sent Ya

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2001, 11:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

I really like fiberglass body parts because they are more forgiving as far as dents and it is a lot easier to repair then their steel counter parts. If you hit a fiberglass panel hard enough to break it, simply hold the pieces into shape, grind out a little of the damaged area, and bond the part back together from underneath. With steel, you either have to replace the part or hammer and dolly it close to shape and then use filler. You can only pound out a metal panel so many times before the metal become fatigued, however if done properly, the fiberglass panel should be just as strong after every repair.

I have a neat story about fiberglass body panels. I bought a set of used dually truck fenders for $50 (cost $350 for the set new) from a guy half way across the country. My problem was that they were too big to ship UPS and the trucking company wanted $150 to ship them. So, I told the guy to cut them in half and stuff them into a box small enough for UPS to ship. The guy thought I was nuts, but did it anyway. Once I got the fenders I simply bolted them to the truck, aligned them with duct tape from above, and bonded them back together front underneath. They have been on the truck ever since then with no problems. Try that with a steel fender!

Tim Martin
87' Samurai/1.6L/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/MSD 6AL/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 10:08 AM

That's a pretty good argument for fiberglass. My problem is that I scratch or dent some part of my body almost every time I go out (and I go out as much as I can). If I was to repair every one after each outing, I would never have time to work on my suspension and other mods. And, you're forgetting one VITALLY important fact: Chics really do dig body damage:^)! It's a big part of what sets us apart from all those pretty-boy poser 4X4's you see tooling around town with their perfect paint jobs. Yeah, they obviously never hit the trail. No rig is complete without its 'trail badges', so wear them with pride. After all, you earned them! ).

'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 12:07 PM

Hamish:

I know that I sure am interested!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim at Northcoast Offroad is in the process of having hoods, half doors, body tubs and maybe more parts made from fiberglass. don't know price or when they will be for sale. give him a call, he's a great guy to do business with!!

-Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode