interesting photo - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

interesting photo

http://www.puresuzuki.com/c3.htm
This is the Calmini Samurai right? With SPOA? whats with that?

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, cj's in rear, lawn edging flares
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 08:03 PM
CSR

Re: interesting photo

That's the new bolt-on spring over kit that Calmini is working on. I heard it was kinda pricey, but it is a complete kit.... everything you need Plus new leaf springs.

[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/zuki_chris/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 08:07 PM

A friend from this list (Gawdzuki) stopped by my house the other day and we were talking about suspensions and stuff. He asked me if I had seen the bolt-on Calmini spring-over and I hadn't. There has been so much spring-over talk lately that it got my curiousity up. Gawdzuki told me there was a pic on their webpage. Here it is- http://www.puresuzuki.com/bolt-on_spoa.htm Now, we all know that Calmini has always been anti-spring-over but I remember someone posting that they had alot of calls asking about a bolt-on kit and let's face the facts--All of the vendors are in the business for money-right?? The only reason I posted the pic was so everyone could look at the parts, not to start an ultimate hypocrisy war. Now, I know there are other bolt-on spring-over kits on the market but I've never seen a pic of the parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try $1000 kinda pricey dollars but it is 6.5"'es of lift, You thinking of gettin' it Anton???

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/1.6(soon)/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 08:23 PM

I cant comment on the qual. of the lift as i never have seen one, but the marketing guy in me says they will have a hard time asking $1,000,- for something that many other comps. are selling for 400-500 and quite some zookers are doing themselves for $50,-

quite a lot of people here on the list spent less money to buy a sami ;o)

lets face it... we are cheap bastards! who really needs new front springs if you can get old jeep-leaves for next to nothing from the junkyard.

again, not commenting on quality, just curious about things like market-segmentation and target audience...

later
alfred

ps: maybe a lil poll here: who would pay us$1,000,- for a "mainstream" spoa kit (be it Calmini, rro, trail-tough, breeze, etc...)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

10-4 on that! the RRO Bolt on is 495!!(no shocks though),But is a bolt on trust-worthy? Or would it be better to stick with the welded perches??

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/1.6(soon)/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

personally i think weld on perches are the way to go.. how the hell can they charge 1000 dollars US for a kit like that!?!? its like they think theyve come up with this "new breakthrough suspension system", that everyone wants and will pay big bucks for. I did mine for 12 dollars, and it is extremely beefy and done properly. If people were accually paying that kind of money for SPOA's id be making a ton of money [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Id like to see how it flexes.. is it just like other calmini suspension systems or have they created somthing that has flex?

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, cj's in rear, lawn edging flares
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 09:50 PM

how did you do your spring over for $12 ????

Mark
90 samurai F.I jx interior
96 sportage 4x4 wifes grocery getter.
"Life is short play hard"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Bought a peice of 2x5x1/4" tubing. Used a band saw to cut off a 6" chunk.. used a hole saw to cut the holes in it. used the band saw again to cut the chunk in half, so now i have 2 perches basically.. used the band saw again to angle the ends. *so now i have 2 perches.
I then took some 1.5x1/4" steel plate, cut it and tacked it in between the new perch and the old one (after i tacked the new perch on)
Double checked everything and welded.. Oh yeah and i drilled center holes and [censored] in the new perches.
Did this for all 4 springs.
For steering i made an extremely beefy steering arm out of thick walled hydraulic tubing wihch i obtained for free, it fits the stock bar PERFECTLY, and is thick. I bent it, cut the stock bar apart, slid each end as far as it would go (till it reached the bends), and tacked it in place.. Double checked everything, the welded it in.. I made some plug welds too. I then made heavy duty trusses from 1/4" plate, cut it with a torch, cleaned them up on the table grinderm, aligned it in the center of the tube and takced them in.. I did this for both trusses them welded them in solid. All these little steel scraps are small and i usually have some or can get some for free.. and are really cheap anyway.
Shock mounts, used a torch, and welder to move them around.
Brake lines, i used some lines off a suzuki swift, 2 dollars each, and for my rear lines i added the 2 lines from between the body and frame..(from my spare zuk)..
Thats about it i think... you dont need to run spacers, i didnt for a long time and never had any troubles or damage. I now have some because a buddy of mine gave them to me.
I also had access to a shop with many tools, and i have quite a bit of experence in fabricating, so it was really easy for me to do.. later.. anton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode