My new flares kickass! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

My new flares kickass!

Now that im running these wide 33's (rears stick out lots with the rims), i need a way to cover them up.. MY SOLUTION (sorry Jeepn, coulnt resist) was to obtain lawn edging (which Jeepn sent me) and then add it to the orignal flare.
I started out by cutting the edge off the flare with a jig saw, so the mounting surface on the flare is level with the end of the flare.
Next i put these little clips on the flares that you use sheetmetal screws with. Then i put the lawn edging along the metal flare on the body (same as if you were putting on the stock flare) then drilled out the holes. I then bolted it in with the screws and it held good, and looks great. note, this is for my 1 fender with good sheetmetal.. the other 3 were very time consuming and didnt go as well.
My other 3 fenders, the metal flare things were totally rusted out, well mostley, they had a bit of metal left. So i cut out the bad stuff, then cut strips 5" long out of sheet metal, drilled holes in the ends, atttached one end to the flare then bent it along the inner fender, drilled , then used a sheet metal screw to secure it.. it was a pain but it works good, and you cant see anything inless you look under the fender.
After i did that i put in the lawn edging.
I stated this at 5:15 Pm and finished at 11 Pm, and thats non stop, no eating, drinking etc..
Ill attempt to obtain some pix of my truck as soon as possible.. I highly reccomend this mod for all your thrifty basturds (BiLLybOb, me) becuase it is dirt cheap, looks great and durable (so i think).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 08:55 AM
Old Hand

Re: My new flares kickass!

How did you reinstall the factory flares? I usually just glue them back on. So you mounted the garded edging ON TOP of the metal factory flare brace?

-Ryan
'88 Sami. locked, Warned, lifted, geared. Two track mind
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: My new flares kickass!

yes, on top then i mounted the stock flare ontop of the lawn edging, and screwed it all togeather.
I made things out of sheetmetal, drill holes, screw one end into good sheet metal on the body then the other onto the flare.. works good.

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, cj's in rear, lawn edging flares
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode